Stihl 066 Red Light Ignition / Flywheel Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poodle_Bruce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I got a project chainsaw for the right price, free! It is a Stihl 066 with the digital red light. I don't know if I have spark and the compression is shot. It looks like the saw was run without oil. I also noticed that the flywheel is missing a fin. Part Number 1122 400 1209.

What would you do for replacement parts?
Should I stick with the original parts (buy used flywheel) and hope that the red light Ignition is working, or go with the cheaper, simpler ignition and matching ignition?

I think I can get away with a simple top end replacement and put this saw back to work. If it is more involved, at least the mosquitoes are gone in the shop for the year.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_20231015_194825458.jpg

IMG_20231017_202522942.jpg

IMG_20231017_203443812.jpg

Before you replace the cylinder with aftermarket, I would dig into it and see what’s wrong with yours. Sometimes it’s possible to clean up the cylinder and simply replace the piston and rings. There are no current OEM or aftermarket cylinders for an 066/660 that will run as well as the one that’s on it if it’s original

The flywheel has lots of fins on it to offset the one that is missing. It’s not an issue. I would give it a good cleaning first and reassemble the coil without the ignition wires intact and see if you have spark. That would rule out a broken wire
Good to hear! I didn't know if a missing fin would cause a vibration or something. After cleaning I will definitely test for spark. This saw is dirty!

Before you replace the cylinder with aftermarket, I would dig into it and see what’s wrong with yours. Sometimes it’s possible to clean up the cylinder and simply replace the piston and rings. There are no current OEM or aftermarket cylinders for an 066/660 that will run as well as the one that’s on it if it’s original
I have not pulled the cylinder yet. It is a Stihl cylinder. I hope it is not too far gone. I hear these original ones really run well.

You need a 11224001214 flywheel that has an X and a Y groove to change it to a 00004001300 coil.

Hopefully the original ignition will still be good although the red light RPM will likely be off. So, just tune as if the red light wasn't there.
Thank you for the part numbers. I will test the spark today with the original parts. This is my first LED equipped chainsaw. From my understanding it monitors or assists in tuning, but does not actively affect the carburetor settings.

I have spark with the original flywheel and coil! I also have a melted piston! I will try to clean up the cylinder and hope that it can be saved.

View attachment 1120729
View attachment 1120730

Don't know I'd be holding my breath while trying to polish that cylinder to "usable", but maybe if you cross all fingers and toes, poke yourself in both eyes- it might come back.

Maybe if I hold my breath, I'll pass out, hit my head, and think up a better way to waste some time.

Do you think the piston is salvageable? Maybe 15 minutes in the time machine on high?

Maybe if I hold my breath, I'll pass out, hit my head, and think up a better way to waste some time.

Do you think the piston is salvageable? Maybe 15 minutes in the time machine on high?

15 minutes in the microwave will sort that piston out just fine. :laugh:

I have a small tank large crank poly wheel 066.
According to JJ there was a small run of these saws between the ally wheel 066 and the large tank poly 066.

I had one that may have been that. It had the three screw ignition. Nice saw, but I'm not sure you can get that ignition aftermarket or otherwise. So, I sold it and kept a MS660.

Progress update:

The cylinder cleaned up surprisingly well, but it does have some scoring. It is very hard to photograph, but you can feel it. It is in one spot to the side of the exhaust port.

IMG_20231021_105805395.jpg
IMG_20231021_105456144_HDR.jpg

I am on the fence with just replacing the piston and reusing the old cylinder. Otherwise a Meteor kit seems like the best option.

Howdy all,

I thought I would update this thread. The saw lives! It has sat on the bench for a bit, but I polished the cylinder and replaced the piston with a meteor. I put everything back together and it fires!

Does it run? No. Have I pressure tested the crankcase? Not yet. Was the carburetor completely full of junk and gelled fuel? Yes. Will I look into all those things? You betcha!

My Carburetor is a Walbro marked WJ35 J1. Is a K15-WJ Repair Kit what I need?

Thanks for the help.

I have a similar saw I built out of parts nearly 20 years ago. At the moment it has a non limited coil in it. I do have the red light coil. I should post my own thread, but since this is on topic and recent, I'll confuse everyone. I have a pile of flywheels here. 2 of them have the double key way, one doesnt. They all have the same part number as the OP, 1122 400 1209. My question is what key way and coil should I be using with this flywheel? It runs like a scalded dog with a non limited coil in most clockwise key way!

Latest posts

Back