myth or fact about chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok is it true or not that a saw will say from Lowes is made differently ( cheaper)
Then one from a dealer and if so what are the differences. And is worth the exter money to pay for the dealer one.

Ok is it true or not that a saw will say from Lowes is made differently ( cheaper)
Then one from a dealer and if so what are the differences. And is worth the exter money to pay for the dealer one.

Welcome to arboristsite. You've come to the right place to get good answers. If you want better answers you should repost in the chainsaw section. Those guys are the ones to ask. This is the milling section.
I'm sure there is a quality difference. Lowes and all the big box stores buy quanity. Quality would be secondary to quanity.

Can't say on the chainsaws for sure but I know it is true for the lawn mowers. I compared a JD from Home Depot to a dealer. The dealer version of the same model had 12 ga. deck vs 16 ga and the motor on the Home Depot was a "thow away" vs. a comercial grade from the dealer. Same model number for both mowers. I also believe there was a difference in the way to get any warranty work done.

Big box top end usually = dealer bottom end

Welcome to Arboristsite. This is a great resource.

As said above, cruise over to the chainsaw forum for better answers, but the long and the short of it is usually the highest-end equipment you see at the big box stores is the same as the lowest-end you'll find at the dealer. For example, a 455 Rancher Husqvarna might be the most expensive saw you can get at Lowes, but it may be the cheapest thing at the stand-alone power equipment dealer.

Regarding the JD lawn tractors, the original L-series sold at Home Depot was the same at the dealer, but they were essentially darker green 2002 Sabre (or orange Scotts) machines. They were great for what they were (riding lawn mowers, not for ground-engaging equipment), but were they as nice as a $4,500 tractor from the JD dealer? Nope. Better than a Craftsman of the same price? Almost certainly. Their weak link was the "sealed for life" hyrdostatic transmission. Seemed to last 5-6 years. Some people figured out a work-around, but it was pricey.

Can you tell I used to work at HD? Good luck!

Some small huskys are now made in the usa and are basically poulans The bigger ones are still made in sweden. look for the black badge with the saw info and should say made in sweden. The 455 should have this black badge and be from sweden regardless of where you get it. I've used both a lowes 455 and a dealer 455 with no noticeable difference between them. But you can definitely tell a difference with the smaller ones made in us.

What they sell is considered a "homeowner" saw, built with a plastic case in most instances. Dealers also sell homeowner quality saws. What is prolly being referenced is the big box store quality vs pro saw quality that is available at the dealer and not the big box. Magnesium or Aluminum cases, three piece forged cranks, heavier rods, just an all around heavier built saw for professional or heavy use.

The main difference between what the big box sells vs. a dealer is customer support/product support after the transaction. A good dealer will be there to take care of you where you sol in getting any help from a big box store.

I would never buy a saw in a big box store, the customer/dealer relationship and support are the valuable intangibles you get from buying from a good dealer.

If I were out of town visiting a friend or relative, and they wanted some free tree work done, I'd send them down to the Depot and get an 18" Wild Thing. It would get the days work done and then could sit in the garage and maybe still work if they needed it in a few months. If it sat for 6 months or better with fuel in it, still working would be lucky. Letting any saw sit for that long with current fuel in it would be lucky.

If they wanted a saw to cut firewood and general around the house work, that would last a life time, I'd send them to a dealer. Regular use with standard maintenance, will mean less overall maintenance, and a saw that will last. I have saws that were my Dads 40 years ago that will run, and out run, a lot of new saws, they're just heavy and vibrate more.

To the specific question, "is the exact same model saw sold at a box store different than the exact same model from a dealer different", I wouldn't think so. The dealer probably won't even carry the cheaper box store model, Joe.

For what it's worth my local dealer's price on the cheap saws is $5-$10 less than the prices in the box stores. He'll also find your uses and recommend the right saw for you.
Along with that he'll be the one to service it, no matter where you buy it. I think he prefers to work on HIS customers saws instead of the lumberyard's customers saws!

Back