Name this Metal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secureland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It has been sitting outside for at least 14 years. NO RUST.

It came off of the floor of a rail car. And was laminated onto some 4'x8' sheets of heavy plywood.

Thanks for any replys!

edit- pics might help

100_2927.jpg

100_2931.jpg

Last edited:
Zinc would be my guess Edit but looking at the pic again, looks too bright.

Hard or soft? looks soft by the bending that would rule out any stainless, nickel stuff. Too hard for lead.

Too heavy for alluminium?

Non magnetic?

If it is drawn by magnet, then could be stainless, if non magnetic, still could be stainless.

If you grind it what do the sparks look like?

If you try to drill it does it turn the drill bit cherry red?

Last edited:
if it's not stainless it could be Manganese (sp?) a maganet won't stick to either. try to drill it, if you can drill it-it's stainless, if not it's manganese.

It won't take a magnet.

It can be bent by hand, but would require a vice or metal break to get a sharp angle.

There is a large train rebuilding company and it came from there about 15 years ago. It's been outside since.

That rules out manganese, it pretty hard and very brittle.

Austenitic stainless is non magnetic, but I would not think you would be able to bend it by hand at that thickness.

Lead alloys vary for soft enough to dig into with a fingernail, unscratchable with the same fingernail. Some of those alloys can be brittle while others are very pliable.

I've seen lead laminated onto drywall for use in xray rooms. I've not heard of it being laminated into plywood, not any other metal for that matter.

If its a lead alloy it should melt below 800*F.

No one's said it yet, so I'll take a guess. 6Al-4V Titanium... Perhaps?

On the floor of a rail car ??

It'll be something fairly ordinary. No one would use anything exotic there.

Most stainless in that gauge are fairly hard and difficult to work by hand.

Could it just be some zinc plated sheet steel ?

Several reasons I don't think it would be titanium.
it was sitting outside for at least 14 years. 14 years ago titanium wasn't exactly cheap. titanium that size would be tough to bend by hand.
being on the floor of a railcar, I would guess it was fairly cheap, ie aluminum or zinc. They aren't going to spend more than they have to in a railcar.

Back