Name this Metal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chowdozer;
I agree on the Inconel, go too fast and it work hardens like a..........well carbide is your only hope.
And you are right, mist guys with good equipment are up to date on metals.
I stand corrected. I have been working strange materials too long...........did you know you can turn a curly chip off of carbide?

lol, I'll also give you a personal experience tip.

Never go to the sheetmetal bin and grab a shiny piece thinking it's stainless. Put it in the shear. Bend it. What the hell? Inconel just doesn't shear worth a crap.

This is the Type of Drill Bit, It went through the metal in 10 seconds with some pressure (not excessive)

The drilled hole is shiny silver color.

At this point it seems like stainless steel might be the consensus. But what kind is the question.

Twist, spade, auger, spoon, chisel need details.:chainsaw:

If you wipe off all the silver crap it might be brass.:monkey:

It is not brass, apparently my sarcasm did not translate into type effectively.

My best guess is a stainless and not an aluminum. Break off a corner with a pair off pliers.

On the floor.

Does not look scuffed.

No pitting.

It is not brass, apparently my sarcasm did not translate into type effectively.

My best guess is a stainless and not an aluminum. Break off a corner with a pair off pliers.

On the floor.

Does not look scuffed.

No pitting.

I don't know much..... are you saying that most metals can be drilled through,
and brass is tough, hence the saying tough as brass tacks?

At this point it seems like stainless steel might be the consensus. But what kind is the question.

Do some of the test in the link I posted up top. If you don't test it your just guessing as far as stainless goes.

I have no problem drilling brass, It's not hard, but does coat the drill bit, HSS Ti coated bit not too fast. Mostly I drill brass shaft on lathe so I can get boering bar in to make bushings.

Try to weld it? That will sort out really quick if it's Al or stainless.

Last edited:
That sure wasn't a wood bit he showed in the picture? I vote aluminum. He said the hole was easy to drill, and was shiny when he was through. He also states that it bends fairly easily, and retains it's shape.

I have welded on aluminum that has been exposed to weather... And the surface looked about the same. Pain in the @ss to weld too! Lot's of cleaning needed.:bang:

Latest posts

Back