Narrow Kerf Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that may be backwards??

Just for the record, regular .325 can be run on a narrow-kerf bar, but like it's been said, do not use narrow-kerf .325 (95VP) on a standard kerf bar.
Oregon specs.

I dunno.....it might be me but I can't picture squeezing a .050 chain into a .045 or so groove

I must admit I don't get involved with NK

Are you sure about that though?......050? how do they keep the chain from tipping in the groove?

Where is Oregon Engineer when we need him....I am curious

Are you sure about that though?......050? how do they keep the chain from tipping in the groove?

Where is Oregon Engineer when we need him....I am curious

Yes, 95VP is .050" gauge. But 90SG (3/8 lopro) is .043 gauge. That's probably what you have in mind.

Oregon says:
Do not replace standard .325"-pitch chains with narrow-kerf 95VP without also changing to a narrow-kerf .050-gauge Micro Lite bar.
95VP can be replaced with with standard-kerf .325"-pitch chains.

Aha

My error.....Narrow KERF

See?........told yah it couldah been me:monkey:

I was indeed confusing the .043

and yes the NK does require a narrower bar body....

I run the 91 series Oregon bar & chain, which is a laminated, roller nose bar, that comes on small huskys & poulans. I get the chain without all the anti-kick crap, from a dealer, for $10 a loop. .....It really cuts good, with less weight. Sometimes I'll pick up a bar at Wally world for $17, and re-drill it,..... I Would like to find a chisel tooth in this type of chain, instead of only chipper.......I have a 346xp & 5100s both set up this way....won't ever go back to a big bar on these smaller saws.

I run the 91 series Oregon bar & chain, which is a laminated, roller nose bar, that comes on small huskys & poulans. I get the chain without all the anti-kick crap, from a dealer, for $10 a loop. .....It really cuts good, with less weight. Sometimes I'll pick up a bar at Wally world for $17, and re-drill it,..... I Would like to find a chisel tooth in this type of chain, instead of only chipper.......I have a 346xp & 5100s both set up this way....won't ever go back to a big bar on these smaller saws.

How many DL are you running? I have some I bet you'd like and am working on bringing back a REAL 3/8 LP chisel that used to be made

They aren't chipper, just semi-chisel - not the same thing....:monkey:

Chipper comes in harvester chain only - these days.

They aren't chipper, just semi-chisel - not the same thing....:monkey:

Chipper comes in harvester chain only - these days.

How many DL are you running? I have some I bet you'd like and am working on bringing back a REAL 3/8 LP chisel that used to be made

This is a lo profile 3/8 pitch chain....57 DL for the 346, 58 for the 5100....I think

An old thread come to life. I ran Bailey's 20NK but I broke several cutters off so I stopped ruuning it. It was on a MS 260Pro with an 18" bar and an 8 tooth sprocket set up for cutting (many) small diameter trees.

An old thread come to life. I ran Bailey's 20NK but I broke several cutters off so I stopped ruuning it. It was on a MS 260Pro with an 18" bar and an 8 tooth sprocket set up for cutting (many) small diameter trees.

I've been pretty satisfied with the performance of the 20NK chain when running it on my 2036 and my 488. I haven't broke any cutters, but I haven't gotten real ruff with it either. The next old dead black jack oak I limb will be the real test for it.

I think the bailey's and carlton are the same chain.

I just got a loop of 20nk from Baileys for my Husky 350/16" and am itching to try it. So far I've been working with whatever chain that Husky provides and it seems smooth to me. It'll be interesting to see if the 20NK feels rougher in the cut. Going to use the stock Husky .325 bar.

I think I saw in the Baileys catalog that Carlton provides at least some of the chains they offer, this being one of them.

Last edited:
Back