Narrow Kerf, for what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgnarr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Narrow kerf bars and chains, some companies call them something different, seem to be popping up everywhere, and becoming more common.

What circumstance(saw size, job at hand, etc.) would you want to put a narrow kerf bar/chain on your saw?

Advantages? Disadvantages?

Does someone make a narrow kerf chain without anti-kcikback?

Just wandering, I looked around the site for the answer and couldn't seem to find a discussion on the subject!

Last edited:
Narrow kerf is generally used on smaller displacement, lower powered saws to minimize power loss due to cutter width and drag. The really low powered saws use 3/8 .043"(narrow kerf). Next is 3/8 .050" low profile for saws up to about 40cc or a bit more. Next would be .325" .050 narrow kerf for saws 40cc-50cc. Some saws from 45cc+ might also use regular .325 .050", .325 .058", or .325 063".

Generally, once past 55cc almost all saws used 3/8 .050" or larger chain.

Bailey's (AS sponsor) has Oregon and WP(Carlton I think) chain in quite a variety of cofigurations that you won't find at Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot. There are other sources as well.

Narrow kerf is generally used on smaller displacement, lower powered saws to minimize power loss due to cutter width and drag. The really low powered saws use 3/8 .043"(narrow kerf). Next is 3/8 .050" low profile for saws up to about 40cc or a bit more. Next would be .325" .050 narrow kerf for saws 40cc-50cc. Some saws from 45cc+ might also use regular .325 .050", .325 .058", or .325 063".

Generally, once past 55cc almost all saws used 3/8 .050" or larger chain.

Bailey's (AS sponsor) has Oregon and WP(Carlton I think) chain in quite a variety of cofigurations that you won't find at Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot. There are other sources as well.

Doesn't it stand to reason that decreasing drag would benefit a larger saw as well as the smaller one?

A buddy of mine runs narrow kerf on his 346XP and it's pretty fast. It seems to me that running narrow kerf on a saw with larger displacement would make it even faster unless there is some point of diminishing returns.

Are the narrow kerf chains and bars less durable? What's the downside?

Theoretically the narrow kerf should give you a greater lift when using wedges, therefore less pounding. I have no idea if the difference is significant. I'm just throwing it out there?

i like the oregon NK and husky pixel (same chain) for limbing with saws like the 346xpg :)

Yes Sir!!!

For milling you make more lumber and less sawdust.

I think it cuts a little faster too , but others may differ on this point

Beeen runnin a 3/8 .050 28 inch for millin on my 2186..Had been gettin good results,,no bad issues at all for me... :cheers:

Last edited:
i like the oregon NK and husky pixel (same chain) for limbing with saws like the 346xpg :)

I don't like that chain on the NE346xp, it doesn't do that saw justice at all in my wood (mostly slow-grown birch) - but on the lesser 353 and the 339 it is a good one.....:greenchainsaw:

:cheers:

Last edited:
Doesn't it stand to reason that decreasing drag would benefit a larger saw as well as the smaller one?

A buddy of mine runs narrow kerf on his 346XP and it's pretty fast. It seems to me that running narrow kerf on a saw with larger displacement would make it even faster unless there is some point of diminishing returns.

Are the narrow kerf chains and bars less durable? What's the downside?

Theoretically the narrow kerf should give you a greater lift when using wedges, therefore less pounding. I have no idea if the difference is significant. I'm just throwing it out there?

The narrow kerf that I have run seems to pinch very easily in bigger wood.
I don't care for it.

Mike

I've gotten a ton of info on this site about NK chain , try searching(best chain for 346) I tried the oregon version first that came with the saw 95vp and then went with woodland pro 20 NK from Baileys ( sponser ) it cut alot faster than the oregon which has some anti kickback features , the woodland pro has none. So far the woodland pro 20 NK is the best I've tried on my 346 . Some have said the 20 LPX oregon would be better but its not a NK chain but a full chisel , I have a loop but haven't tried it yet . Some say running the regular 20 LP chain on a NK bar will wear it out faster because there isn't enough support for the chain . Also check under the baileys sponser page for more info .

Originally Posted by rms61moparman
The narrow kerf that I have run seems to pinch very easily in bigger wood.
I don't care for it.

Mike

Anyone else experience this same issue?

Not saying your wrong Mike I just wonder why that would be?

It makes a narrower cut, so its easier for the bar to bind, and particularly if the chain isn't sharpened evenly from side to side.

NK is meant for smaller, less powerful saws that are intended to cut smaller wood. Many of us use the saws for work beyond what they were designed for, so experience "issues".

While the NK and 3/8 low profile like Oregon 91 or Stihl Picco do a good job, their cutters do seem to dull more quickly than full sized 3/8" chain. Likewise, but to a lesser degree for the .325 chains.

In that I prefer to run as light of saw as possible for the work at hand, I tend to overwork my small saws. My Makita DCS401(39cc) is equipped with 3/8 .050" low profile, but has since been modifed to where it should pull .325" no problem. I'll try it to see if the chain does stay sharper longer, and take advantage of the chisel available in .325" that isn't available in the small 3/8"(chamfer chisel). I think that most 346xps are equipped with .325, but mine is running 3/8 .050 LGX, and does well with it. It seems to stay sharp longer than the .325 NK on my 353.

The downside to any of the NK bars is that they are FLIMSY beyond 16".

I don't like that chain on the NE346xp, it doesn't do that saw justice at all in my wood (mostly slow-grown birch) - but on the lesser 353 and the 339 it is a good one.....:greenchainsaw:

I also really like it on the small huskys like the 345/350 it makes them a really nice cutting fast little saw. But like sawtroll said I dont think it works on a hotter saw like the 346, I have not run the 346 but I tried the 325 nk on my 5100 and it really didnt work it seemed a bit slower to me and I took it off and back to the 3/8 full chisel. That said I am running it on my 450 and it works great, the little saw is pretty fast and smooth but not as fast or nearly as tough in the bigger wood as the 5100. I have not tried it but Im pretty sure if you put the 3/8 chisel on the 450 it would fall on its face!

I've gotten a ton of info on this site about NK chain , try searching(best chain for 346) I tried the oregon version first that came with the saw 95vp and then went with woodland pro 20 NK from Baileys ( sponser ) it cut alot faster than the oregon which has some anti kickback features , the woodland pro has none. So far the woodland pro 20 NK is the best I've tried on my 346 . Some have said the 20 LPX oregon would be better but its not a NK chain but a full chisel , I have a loop but haven't tried it yet . Some say running the regular 20 LP chain on a NK bar will wear it out faster because there isn't enough support for the chain . Also check under the baileys sponser page for more info .

The LP/LPX and RSC will outcut the NK chains by a wide margin on the NE346xp - but it is hard to explain why that is so, except they are chisel vs. semi-chisel.

..but again, you virtually have to stand on the 346 with 95VP, to take advantage of anything near the saws torque potential - it is a really strong saw!

Somehow the Jonsered counterpart (2153) don't seem as strong from the reports on it here, even though the parts are mostly the same - lower hp specs as well....:confused:

true that is on the old 346xpg not the NE, that one uses only regular .325 or some times even 3/8 square filed chain :)

Why would they ship the 346 NE from the factory with NK bar and chain if its not the best combination for that saw? They have done the testing I'm sure and want the saw to perform the best it can so they can sell more saws .

Latest posts

Back