NE 346XP - Affects of Cat Muffler & Muffler Mod - Porting & Popup To Come

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have I told you how much I hate you guys? :dizzy:

I've been tempted to replace my 350 with a 346XP (and I have no reason other than CAD) and after this thread, think I'm stopping by the dealer tomorrow and checking one out. AAUUGGHH!

Here, I'll give you a reason..... the mufflers gonna fall off of that 350 soon, better get the 346. ;)

:laugh:

Here's the final video of the saw with the popup. This wood is much harder than the piece in the previous videos.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KA1m0gU_-S0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KA1m0gU_-S0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I recently did a muffler mod to one of my 372's with the same delflector you used on your 346. I used self tapping, pan head screws to hold the deflector to the muffler. The first time I ran it, the screws vibrated out and I lost the deflector. I was wondering what kind of screws you used to hold your deflector on and if you used something to hold them in (like loctite or jb weld).

i usually put locktite on the ones I've done. On stihls on the dual port cover I use bolts with lock washer and locktite.

Brad, what was the final compression figure with the pop-up?

Compression is only about 145 right now. It's only on it's 2nd tank of fuel. I experienced similiar with mine. It was quite low when new. After a dozen or so tanks, it's now 185-190 with the same .040" popup and .016" squish. I've never seen compression jump that much with breakin. It's just going to take some time to see it come up. It seems that Huskies have lower compression from the factory these days than Stihls do. But they run well none the less.

Compression is only about 145 right now. It's only on it's 2nd tank of fuel. I experienced similiar with mine. It was quite low when new. After a dozen or so tanks, it's now 185-190 with the same .040" popup and .016" squish. I've never seen compression jump that much with breakin. It's just going to take some time to see it come up. It seems that Huskies have lower compression from the factory these days than Stihls do. But they run well none the less.

Looks really nice :clap::clap: - what is the current pitch and pin count?

Looks really nice :clap::clap: - what is the current pitch and pin count?

All but the last vid were with the .325 Carlton the saw came with. This last vid was with my .325 Stihl RSC chain. The rim is still the stock 7-pin. I'll let the owner decide what he wants to do with that. If he's heavy handed, he'll prefer the 7-pin. If not, it should be faster with an 8-pin.

Top of bore

Hmm, hadn't thought about that. Since you dropped the jug the top of the bore hasn't been lapped in yet. Well, like you said, a few tanks will take care of that.

Excellent work Brad!!!

And as usual ya edumacated me a bit with the play by play.

Good stuff!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It's not "required" even when ported. It just means that you have no way of tuning other than in the wood. You can't tune with a tach or by ear unless you replace it. For those reasons, I will not mod one of these for someone unless they're willing to spend the extra $40 for a used OEM coil.

Brad...I am not too familiar with tuning and I was wondering if you could explain this post a little more for me? What are the tuning principles involved with tuning in the wood or with a tach when running either a limited or unlimited coil. Thanks for your help.

All but the last vid were with the .325 Carlton the saw came with. This last vid was with my .325 Stihl RSC chain. The rim is still the stock 7-pin. I'll let the owner decide what he wants to do with that. If he's heavy handed, he'll prefer the 7-pin. If not, it should be faster with an 8-pin.

Sounds good to me! :)

Latest posts

Back