Need a 48"-50" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished removing the .404 tip off of my new 36" bar. It went rather well. I drill most of the way through with a bit slightly larger than the shaft of the rivet and then went to a little smaller bit to go a little deeper. I then took a punch and drove them out. Be sure to support the back side so as to not spread the ears of the tip out, if you care. The new black 3/8 tip slide on and the holes lined up nicely. I backed the rivet heads up on the anvil part of my vise. I then used a very small ball peen hammer, resting on the rivet, and smacked it with a larger hammer. I've heard this can fracture a hammer head but it worked very nicely. I didn't mar up the new bar or tip at all. Once I get the used 50" bar, I'll be doing the same thing to it.

Last time I look at the Baileys site they had a 50 inch Cannon husky mount on a pretty good sale, like 199. What looked like the same bar was listed elsewhere on the site for $289, so maybe there was some difference....

Great price so I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
Thanks to Bill G I now have a nice 49" bar for my 084. It arrived in excellent condition. The bar was straight as an arrow and the rails were in good condition. I removed what little paint was still on the bar, dressed the rails, tightened them up a little, installed a new 3/8 sprocket tip, primed, and painted it. I've got a brand new bar for all intents and purposes. Next week when the paint is dry I'll paint the Stihl logo back on it.

Am I correct that this is a 49" bar, rather than a 48" or 50"?

422345396_sLLPD-L.jpg
422345508_ru5ju-M.jpg

I also got the 3/8 tip installed and the chain made up for the new 36" bar as well. For regular use, it handles much better with this 36" bar than it did with the 42" I sold. When I need a big bar I'll just jump to the 50" one.

422345534_czM7B-M.jpg

Last edited:
Saw is lookin good.
I have never heard of a 49 incher.
Just 48's or 50's then 59 and 60.

But i have been known to be wrong.

Lee

You may be right. I was getting mixed up with the 59" bar they sell. The catalog shows a hardnosed 47" bar that takes 138 DL. This bar calls for 139 DL. My dealer called it a 50" bar when he typed the PN into the computer. It still came up even though NLA. The bar is 53" from tip to tip. I'm just curious what it was sold as.

Hi Bill.
Here's the 10 pin sprocket you sent. I had to modify the bar slightly, lolol. just need to splice the chain and let her rip!
attachment.php

Thanks to Bill G I now have a nice 49" bar for my 084. It arrived in excellent condition. The bar was straight as an arrow and the rails were in good condition. I removed what little paint was still on the bar, dressed the rails, tightened them up a little, installed a new 3/8 sprocket tip, primed, and painted it. I've got a brand new bar for all intents and purposes. Next week when the paint is dry I'll paint the Stihl logo back on it.

Am I correct that this is a 49" bar, rather than a 48" or 50"?

422345396_sLLPD-L.jpg
422345508_ru5ju-M.jpg

I also got the 3/8 tip installed and the chain made up for the new 36" bar as well. For regular use, it handles much better with this 36" bar than it did with the 42" I sold. When I need a big bar I'll just jump to the 50" one.

422345534_czM7B-M.jpg

Looks good besides that hideous Bengals gear. GO BROWNS!!!!!!

Back