NEED A COIL FOR JONS 49SP- Anybody Know of A Good One?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisford

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got my Jonsered 49SP looking good and running perfect-except- Ive only got a spark for about 2 minutes. It idles and revs perfect. It starts one pull cold and after about 2 mins it just stops and no spark. After a few hours sitting, starts one pull and does it again. Does anyone have a good coil they want to sell for a Jonsered 49SP? If so please let me know, Thank you

Are these coils known to breakdown or do you think theres something else wrong with the saw? Cash for coil if someone can find a working one. i got 2 dead ones now.

Last edited:
does it still have points or has it ben chiped?
a direrent coil can be rettro fitted if i dont have oem
i would need the saw to do it
btw nice saw

Its been chipped. But I could put points back on. Can flywheels go bad? Ive got original coil, its COMPLETELY dead. Then I bought a parts saw, guy claimed it had good ignition, but the coil runs for couple minutes and then no spark. Got nice covers and and rear handle off it though. Might take awhile to cut a cord of wood.

This is probably redundant, but you have checked for frayed or worn insulation, bad grounds, cracked or burnt components, right? Tried unhooking the kill switch? No offense intended, but sometimes we forget the easy stuff.

I might have your part.

I still have my dad's 'Old Red' for parts. The saw ran for many years but old age took over and he forgot to mix oil with the gas. Long story short, I bought him a new saw (Ok, I bought him several new saws) the old one(s) sat collecting dust. This one looks like your saw. I think it was a 49sp if not the other one in the shed could be the one.

The bad parts is... I'm one of the guys who got bit by them darn ticks several years ago and I still get confused at times and today is one of those times.

If I don't send you a PM, send me one and I'll give you a link to the picture of the saw. If it's the right one, I'll pull the coil for you...

This is probably redundant, but you have checked for frayed or worn insulation, bad grounds, cracked or burnt components, right? Tried unhooking the kill switch? No offense intended, but sometimes we forget the easy stuff.

Yep it has all new wire and connectors, unhooked switch, tested switch. Sandpapered contacts, cleaned ground. Has spark when cold, seems like windings inside are old and cant take any temperature.

I still have my dad's 'Old Red' for parts. The saw ran for many years but old age took over and he forgot to mix oil with the gas. Long story short, I bought him a new saw (Ok, I bought him several new saws) the old one(s) sat collecting dust. This one looks like your saw. I think it was a 49sp if not the other one in the shed could be the one.

The bad parts is... I'm one of the guys who got bit by them darn ticks several years ago and I still get confused at times and today is one of those times.

If I don't send you a PM, send me one and I'll give you a link to the picture of the saw. If it's the right one, I'll pull the coil for you...

Thank you, sir! Pm'ed you

Are you certain that your "chip" hasn't gone south. I have never had a coil do what you're describing...not to say that can't happen...but I have not had it happen and certainly not on two coils.

I am not a big flag waver for the points elimination chips.......the points sets in these saw will outlast the saw itself.....my first 49SP died completely after 20 of hard use and the points were still firing fine and had never seen the light of day since it was asssembled.

Where is your chip located? They need to be cooled as they generate heat. I have a couple on 49SPs and find the best place is that flat metal plate at 2:00 in the flywheel area of the case. This plate keeps the wires protected from the flywheel and covers them through the rubber bushing in the case. This is a good place as there is lots of airflow off the cooling fan and the bolts are already there to secure the plate.

I'd check that out before moving to coil #3.......if you have the points, points plate and conderser I'd file the points, set them and don't look back (0.012" air gap on the coil to flywheel magnets...0.016" points gap)......if you do that and you have moved or removed the points plate...it needs to be set at full advance in the adjustment (counter clockwise all the way)

Are you certain that your "chip" hasn't gone south. I have never had a coil do what you're describing...not to say that can't happen...but I have not had it happen and certainly not on two coils.

I am not a big flag waver for the points elimination chips.......the points sets in these saw will outlast the saw itself.....my first 49SP died completely after 20 of hard use and the points were still firing fine and had never seen the light of day since it was asssembled.

Where is your chip located? They need to be cooled as they generate heat. I have a couple on 49SPs and find the best place is that flat metal plate at 2:00 in the flywheel area of the case. This plate keeps the wires protected from the flywheel and covers them through the rubber bushing in the case. This is a good place as there is lots of airflow off the cooling fan and the bolts are already there to secure the plate.

I'd check that out before moving to coil #3.......if you have the points, points plate and conderser I'd file the points, set them and don't look back (0.012" air gap on the coil to flywheel magnets...0.016" points gap)......if you do that and you have moved or removed the points plate...it needs to be set at full advance in the adjustment (counter clockwise all the way)

Yeah Im thinking of dumping the NOVA chip, tried a new one in it, same results. Maybe those chips just dont work right with a 49SP coil, i dont know. Gettin frustrating, I have the points,plate, condensor from another saw I will clean and set them and put them in. Then if if dont work I dont know what the hell then, should of just took the money and bought a new saw. With the luck I have i probly do have 2 dead coils though, story of my life. This saw was just real nice looking with good compression. Jeesh

So you've tried 2 Nova chips and 2 sp coils with all the same results??.....The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the cyl to case joint has somehow gained so much resistance that when the cyl expands the electrical connection between the two is lost, resulting in the coil not being grounded after a couple minutes.....Just a thought. That might expain why any combination of coils and modules fail exactly the same....If you do set up the points and this is the problem it still won't change anything...might be worth checking the continuity between the case and cyl with an ohm meter just after it loses fire....I am assuming you've changed the sparkplug ay least once.

So you've tried 2 Nova chips and 2 sp coils with all the same results??.....The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the cyl to case joint has somehow gained so much resistance that when the cyl expands the electrical connection between the two is lost, resulting in the coil not being grounded after a couple minutes.....Just a thought. That might expain why any combination of coils and modules fail exactly the same....If you do set up the points and this is the problem it still won't change anything...might be worth checking the continuity between the case and cyl with an ohm meter just after it loses fire....I am assuming you've changed the sparkplug ay least once.

Thats what it seems like, like theres a bad ground. I have the ground wire (neg) from the chip attached with a wire and ring connector sandwiched between the case and the bolted metal bracket that goes over the carburator. But your saying the coil might be losing ground from where its bolted to the cylinder?

Thats what it seems like, like theres a bad ground. I have the ground wire (neg) from the chip attached with a wire and ring connector sandwiched between the case and the bolted metal bracket that goes over the carburator. But your saying the coil might be losing ground from where its bolted to the cylinder?

Maybe but I was thinking the cyl itself losing ground to the cases when it heats up.....sounds kinda far fetched but something is happening as the egine gets warm and that's the only thing I can think of. Where is your chip mounted??

Back