Need a new small side kick saw. Opinions wanted!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really would suggest you get a 024 , 025 MS250 ,026 MS260 for the needs you are looking for . I have a 180 a 024 and a 026 along with my 361 and 460 . The 180 is great for brushing and cutting up sticks at the end of the day but there is a world of difference in that saw and the mid range saws I listed . I think you wont be happy with the ponies the little 180 makes I would suggest you look at about the 3 H.P. range to fill your needs .
If you cant afford new watch for used ones . There out there you just got to keep your eyes open . I also think once stihl brings out there new 261 you will see abunch of 260's for sale .

I bought a Husky 435 for limbing and cutting small cedar. It has 41cc's, weighs about 9.5 lbs and I spent $245 on it. It is a nice light saw, high rpm's and cuts well with good chain. It is suprisingly a nice saw for the money.
No complaints to this point.

I'm pretty fond of my little MS200 (rear handle) very nimble little saw with good power.

I still use my Homelite XL 2. It fires every time, it's light, and I have always been a fan of the dual triggers. The lack of a chain brake is a down side though. Maybe it's time to upgrade to later model Super 2 SL.

The MS 211 is about 280.00 + tax. Very well spoken of. I like the 026 for most general light stuff the 009 doesn't want. That would be a good middle ground between the 009 and 390, imo, but hte 211 might be lighter and peppier than the 009. Good luck!

i bought a 026 and it has become one of my favorites its super light weight and runs very good. it goes gets used evertime i cut wood ive even used it bucking 30" wood when my 044 accidently had a tree fall on it

Husqvarna 445 recon units

There are currently some on Flea-Bay for $200 + $20 shipping.
2.8 HP, 10.8 # w/o B & C.
I think they come with an 18" bar.

If you dont mind spending $50 more and be in the $300 range, the Dolmar 420 is a serious saw for its size and price point.

Dolmar 420

If I didn't already have a PP260 & a H 435, I would like to have one,
a magnesium case saw, not a plastic clamshell.
The only iffy thing I have heard on them on AS was that the chain catcher
was part of the clutch housing, might be expensive to replace.

redmax g5000

another option is the Redmax g5000. They have been discontinued but some say they are a pro quality saw. It has 49cc's, weighs about 11 lbs and you can get it online right now for under $300 tax included. I have never run one so I can not say how they handle.

After posting this morning on this thread about upgrading from my XL 2 side kick saw, I made a couple phone calls and found a Super 2 SL free of charge. It's got no spark but the compression is good and the chain brake is all intact so I'm happy.

homelitesuper2.jpg

"The little saw runs great however"

I once dropped that XL 2 from about 20 feet, and it started right up after. That's also why it has the hose clamp on the gas tank.

Just don't ask me why I dropped it.

oh that's nothin. I was hoping to hear about some gruesome tale about chopping off your ear or something and dropping the saw.

where in Canada are you?>

You'll need to spend more than $250 if you want to buy new. If you can find a Dolmar 401 buy it, the new Dolmar 420 is also a killer little saw, it runs more like most 50cc saws. I do however like my MS211, it's a bit expensive, but a well made little saw.

Vid of my 211.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMLLQJxCcAg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></><embed ="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMLLQJxCcAg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Yep, the 401 is really a great saw. So much so, and trying to think out of the box, I had Big Dave work his magic on mine. Nobody would believe me!

If you guys are gonna throw the old Homies into the mix my vote goes for the Super EZ Auto. :clap:....... so what if you can't feel your hands when you're done, that little thing just tractors through the wood like no "little" saw built today ever could. :cheers:

:D

If you guys are gonna throw the old Homies into the mix my vote goes for the Super EZ Auto. :clap:....... so what if you can't feel your hands when you're done, that little thing just tractors through the wood like no "little" saw built today ever could. :cheers:

:D

Truth!

Back