Need a new weedwacker (opinions?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl FS 85

I have 12 of them in my landscape company and they are toughf as nails!my guys use and abuse them regulary and they can takeit. 25 ccs , strait shaft, more power than needed. we use them for hedgecutting, weedwacking, power brooms, edging etc. i get the solid drive shaft model ( fs 85) they have an fs 80 homeowner model with thew flex shaft but it doesnt allow you to change attachments if needed. Parts are very easy to find as well as a dealer for them. hope this helps

Was in the same predicament as you a couple years ago. Using up a Homelite every 3 years. Then I remembered my dad's Stihl he bought 25+ years ago. It cuts a swath 25'x350' next to the railroad tracks 3 or 4 times a year. Plus it cuts the fenceline and around all the flowerbeds. Has never had a problem with it. Have no idea what model he has, but I bought a FS110.

I have 12 of them in my landscape company and they are toughf as nails!my guys use and abuse them regulary and they can takeit. 25 ccs , strait shaft, more power than needed. we use them for hedgecutting, weedwacking, power brooms, edging etc. i get the solid drive shaft model ( fs 85) they have an fs 80 homeowner model with thew flex shaft but it doesnt allow you to change attachments if needed. Parts are very easy to find as well as a dealer for them. hope this helps

The 80 is commercial duty, but just can't handle the attachments cause it's cable drive. The 85 was discontinued in the US after the 04 season. If they want to use the attachments then the 90 is a good option

I've got a couple of T261's from Shindaiwa and really can't complain about them. Suckers are tough, and powerful. If you don't have a Shindaiwa dealer near you, check out a RedMax. These are all going to be $300+ trimmers though. I've used the SRM210 before from Echo and it feels like a tonka toy compared to my trimmers.

Stihl and Echo

I have a place up in the mountains which is basically a weedfarm because of my prolonged absences. As a result, I use 3 (and have used 4) weedwackers there and use 2 here. The reason for this is that I don't really want to change the heads all the time and have found that the triangular blade is best for cutting down saplings, the circular blade is great for tall grass, and the 3 lined head is great for cutting stuff way to the ground. I will use each for a tankful in the mornings, and this way can also get by without having to grease the shaft line. Long winded but what I'm getting at is that I use Echo and Stihl a lot. Tried the others and threw them away. The stihl 250 and 120 (it may be 130) are fabulous as are the Echo 230 and 260. In tamer areas, the Stihl FS85 (may be FS90 now) and Echo 210 are excellent. All of these start easily, cut very well and last!!! I especially like the heads don't require winding. Remember to clean the airfilters regularly. If you have a DEALER near you, buy whatever you want to get there. HD and Lowe's don't service their stuff. Good Luck, HB

i haved used and fixed them all.

the husqvarna 323l i got at lowes it the lightest,smoothest,best balanced,most powerful one i have ever used.second choice would be a redmax.

the husqvarna 323l i got at lowes it the lightest,smoothest,best balanced,most powerful one i have ever used.second choice would be a redmax.

323L is pretty decent, but lowe's won't service you unit, and you local dealer may not give you the same service as if ya got it from them.

after three years of commercial use.........

some with a brush blade,i have never done anything but clean the air filter and put mix gas in it.oh yeah,i have replaced the string to.

husqvarna dealers sell them.the 326 is an option as well.

yeah NEVER buy a trimmer from lowe's. I tihnk the 326LX is the biggest lowe's carries and while it is a nice unit, if you have an honest dealer you will pay the same from them as you do at lowe's. As i have mentioned a lot lately in various posts we are nearly identical to lowe's in price. (yet i have some friends/family that insist we are always going to be higher) ugh lol

I have a Stihl 353AV brush cutter that I have never fired up. I'm afraid to, it's a chainsaw motor on the end of a shaft, bet it weighs 30lbs but I bet it will cut. You can try it if you want, sell it pretty cheap to!!! LOL :popcorn:

Echo is good, but I won't brag too hard for them after some rough running problems with both the small chainsaw and the gas hedge trimmer.

And those were within the first month of use. Carb related both times. Int the same time-frame, I had still used, and was still using my Stihl and Husky equipment with the same gasoline, and those ran smoothly. And they were a few years old already.

So I'd say it's a good brand, but not an excellent brand.

I'd buy another, but I'd also look at other stuff. It won't be like I'm going to stroll through a store and just grab an Echo off the rack first thing.

What's a 353 Big Bad Bob?

Hi,
I'm not familiar with the 353. Among other things I have a 200 and 250 and they're pretty heavy. Is it the same as the 350?? If so, it's a monster. What are you asking for it?

Two questions

some with a brush blade,i have never done anything but clean the air filter and put mix gas in it.oh yeah,i have replaced the string to.

Shouldn't you grease the head and shaft? Many years ago, I had one burn out on me because I went too long without taking the line out and greasing it? Also, where did you get a 192T ? My dealer told me that they're not yet available.
Thanks, HB

Hi,
I'm not familiar with the 353. Among other things I have a 200 and 250 and they're pretty heavy. Is it the same as the 350?? If so, it's a monster. What are you asking for it?
Here are some pictures of a FS353AV. Not sure if it's for sale, freight to you would probably be $100. Maybe Lakeside can get more info on it, I think it's about 1972.

Latest posts

Back