Need a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking the other way here.
:computer: My biggest saw is two 046's one with a 34inch bar and the other with a 36 inch bar (yeah it can more than handle it).

With your 026, get you a bigger bar for the 046 and pick up a 340 or a 310. The more you can use the 340 or the 310 the longer your 46 will last.

Last edited:
I have a bigger bar for the ms460, the 36" that came with it, and I know it can handle it. But I don't want two ms460's.

I have a bigger bar for the ms460, the 36" that came with it, and I know it can handle it. But I don't want two ms460's.

If you're talking to me, I'm telling you you should get a 310 or 340. Most the time your either over working the 026 or putting miles on the 460 for wood that could be done with a little smaller saw.

Last edited:
Alright, I have a Stihl 460 and 260, but I am going to need another saw to go with the combo. I have been trying to decide between a MS361 or a MS660. I have two wooded acres that needed to be cleared. I would guess that 25% are <18" about 50% are 18"-32" and the rest are all less then 4'.

I would also be building a house that has a wood fireplace for its main heat source.

I know the 460 could do everything but I have brothers that will help fall and buck up the trees once there on the ground. So if I buy another saw which should it be?

You need the 361. Forget all the separation anxiety stuff. The 260 starts to lag at about 1' diameter stuff. They are good for limbing, thinning and topping, as well as small log firewood bucking. The 361 is a great all-around firewood and falling/bucking saw up to about 2'+. The 460 would do the large falling and bucking stuff, as well as splitting rounds. It is tiring to use all day though, whereas the 361 is not. The 660 would be good for milling and dropping the bigger 3'+ DBH stuff, though the 460 will do the job. Lately on CL there have been some really really good deals on 361s and 660s in the PNW.

I managed an 85 acre mixed species stand for 4 years in the coast range here in central Oregon, and I used mostly a 210/025/290/361, and I had a 460 there for a while. I replaced it with a 440, which I like better. Most of the larger trees that I felled there were in the 18" to 30" range, but there were a few larger ones (mostly firs). Lots of small tree thinning to do with a saw in hand all day, so a small saw like a 250/260 is better for that stuff. Most of the time I used the 361, with a 20 or 25 inch bar. I always try to use the smallest saw that I can though. A 660 is a bear to operate. I used one for one afternoon. That is one large saw.

Last edited:
You need the 361. Forget all the separation anxiety stuff. The 260 starts to lag at about 1' diameter stuff. They are good for limbing, thinning and topping, as well as small log firewood bucking. The 361 is a great all-around firewood and falling/bucking saw up to about 2'+. The 460 would do the large falling and bucking stuff, as well as splitting rounds. It is tiring to use all day though, whereas the 361 is not. The 660 would be good for milling and dropping the bigger 3'+ DBH stuff, though the 460 will do the job. Lately on CL there have been some really really good deals on 361s and 660s in the PNW.

I managed an 85 acre mixed species stand for 4 years in the coast range here in central Oregon, and I used mostly a 210/025/290/361, and I had a 460 there for a while. I replaced it with a 440, which I like better. Most of the larger trees that I felled there were in the 18" to 30" range, but there were a few larger ones (mostly firs). Lots of small tree thinning to do with a saw in hand all day, so a small saw like a 250/260 is better for that stuff. Most of the time I used the 361, with a 20 or 25 inch bar. I always try to use the smallest saw that I can though. A 660 is a bear to operate. I used one for one afternoon. That is one large saw.

I agree!!!

I always try to use the smallest saw that I can though. A 660 is a bear to operate. I used one for one afternoon. That is one large saw.

I have to admit that I prefer to use a light saw when practical, and for me, its most of the time. On occasions when I need a big saw, and I'm talkin' hardwoods here, the 066/660 gets it done.

While the 066/660 may seem large when compared to your 361, its a lightweight when compared to an 880 or 3120.

Latest posts

Back