Need a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBuck

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have a Stihl 460 and 260, but I am going to need another saw to go with the combo. I have been trying to decide between a MS361 or a MS660. I have two wooded acres that needed to be cleared. I would guess that 25% are <18" about 50% are 18"-32" and the rest are all less then 4'.

I would also be building a house that has a wood fireplace for its main heat source.

I know the 460 could do everything but I have brothers that will help fall and buck up the trees once there on the ground. So if I buy another saw which should it be?

Is this saw just for one of your brothers? Because both the saws you already have will be capable of the work you have on... i should imagine that the 361 would be very close to both you already have. Maybe a 660 or 880?

Yeah, it would be so we could both be working at the same time. Then afterwards it would be used to supply the house with firewood.

Yeah, it would be so we could both be working at the same time. Then afterwards it would be used to supply the house with firewood.

I think I would just get another MS 460 they are good all around saws. Maybe a MS 660 if you want to put a 36~42 inch bar on one to have for the big stuff. I would not consider a MS 880 unless your going to setup a portable mill they are way to heavy to just lug around for clearing.

But that's just mt .02 :cheers:

Sell the 460 and pick up a 361 and 660. With the 260 that'll be a good 3 saw plan.

260. 361 and 460 is not a good 3 saw plan IMHO. Just not enough seperation.

Yeah I guess I should say that I am not worried so much about the saw plan as much as I just want to get everything I need for the 4hour drive to start clearing wood. I don't wanna get stuck wishing for a bigger saw if I got the 361 or the oppisite if I got the 660.

I'd keep the 460 and get a 660. What will it hurt? Of course I am all about the big saws. Not the in between. When ever my settlement comes in. First thing I'm going out to buy is an MS 880. Go big or go home. Not all agree with that. :cheers:

DISCLAIMER: im a husqy guy!

but, in terms of CC class, i have found that with a small saw (husqy 346, stihl 026), and a large saw (husqy 372, stihl 044/046) that theres no real mid gound.

if i want a small saw i like my 346, if i want a big saw i want my 372. the 357 just seems too inbetween.

if i were considering another saw, it would be an 80-90 cc class (husqy 385, stihl 660)

i did a little info gathering and set up a spread sheet that listed simply displacement, hp, weight, and power/weight ratio. the 361 gets a p/w ratio of .36 and the 660 gets a .42

in this instance a number closer to 1 is better.

take it for what you will.

Do you NEED another saw...or WANT another saw? I think I could make due with those two. The 361 just gets lost in the middle. If you WANT another saw get the 660. WDO

Do you NEED another saw...or WANT another saw? I think I could make due with those two. The 361 just gets lost in the middle. If you WANT another saw get the 660. WDO

All I NEED is a axe, but I WANT to get done quicker with two bigger saws. I don't see needing 3 saws for firewood. I don't have CAD, but I can sell as much firewood as I care to split for $125 a cord to help offset the purchase price.

All I NEED is a axe, but I WANT to get done quicker with two bigger saws. I don't see needing 3 saws for firewood. I don't have CAD, but I can sell as much firewood as I care to split for $125 a cord to help offset the purchase price.

2 acres, but lots of trees 24-48"? I keep debating what to suggest, but think another 460 or the 660 might be the wise choice. The 361 isn't a bad choice, but probably a little light for what you're describing.

Back