need a source for echo 500 EVL module / coil...... no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cobey, I have a couple of really nice 550s I aquired with dead electronic modules. Took me awhile to find good used ones on flea-bay. I believe there are testing instructions in the Echo service manual to detemine which is bad, the coil or electronic module. make sure you check the switch and wiring as well. Good luck.

Put up a pic of what you have. It is likely just the point type coil with an added trigger unit, just replace the trigger with the Oregon module......

A new old stock electronic module for that saw is $100+ if you can find one. a.palmer raises a valid point about the necessity to change the flywheel. I guess you could check the Echo website and compare part numbers.

Pretty much impossible to find ignition parts even over here...
Since the primary and secondary coils are separated and the electronics module is part of the primary, a Nova II might be impossible.
I have a few saws from that series with dead ignitions and have been looking for a solution.

Something else to ponder...I have a friend who runs a small engine shop and he says that if you can get a module to fit it will work. I've tried modules on Homelites that weren't made for the particular saw that I was working on and the saws would run. I guess it's possible to get a module that would fit the Echo and make it work. It has to fit and have the proper shape and clearance however..

That would be another possibility - the space around the flywheel and the shape of the air cowl around the coils limit possibilities, though. I will check on that when I got some time as I have a number of coil candidates lying around.

Like a.palmer, I have eliminated the points on several older Homelite saws using the module. I wish I understood the "electrics" more than I do but it seems that if the module replaces the points on a points equiped saw, that it could be used to replace the faulty electronic module on an "EVL" model saw. Is my reasoning messed up ? If I remember correctly, the "atom module" (used to replace points/condenser) is much smaller than the OEM electronic module on an EVL and may very well fit the same space in the cowl. I think I may have a couple of Atom modules somewhere and I have a CS 500 EVL torn down waiting on a used OEM module.

If this works, can you imagine the opportunity to pick up some nice used Echos that have been lying around for years with dead modules that are no longer produced ? We have an Echo dealer that is a forum sponsor. Wish we had his input.

The 500 evl should surely have plenty of room as well, but none of the components share part numbers on either saw,
including flywheel, so I doubt an aftermarket module would work.

Attachments

• CS-500EVL_WW_2.gif
    CS-500EVL_WW_2.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 10
I have used on the 032 with succes. The atom's work, if you can find em. I have a Kawasaki module in the box if interested pm me.

Back