Need advice for non-combustible wall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm about to install my wood stove and have an issue with the right hand side door being closer than 36" to the wall just to the right of it. I'm installing it in a large, oversized alcove.
I am going to finish the wall with tile or stone and my manual says I need a non-combustible wall in order to use the door.

I don't want to shim the wall out 1" and gap the bottom and top for air flow.

Can I use steel studs and Durock to make a non combustible wall?

Thanks for any information.
:)

You can not use steel studs and something like sheetrock attached to the back side. The heat will transfer, that is why the false wall has an air gap.

Sheetrock works ok, but isn't really the absolute best.

I used to be in construction and we ran in to this a coupe of times. If the install is going to be inspected make sure you call the inspector and ask him/her what they will accept for materials. Some of them can be quite touchy when it comes to this type of stuff. Where you thinking of tiling the Durock? What type of tile?

Sheetrock works ok, but isn't really the absolute best.

No, I dont think sheetrock meets the code. The facings are only paper and it will break down. Even the so called fire rated stuff wont satisfy insurance or building code requirements. Unless you use a Underwriters certified panel, I think you are stuck with the 1"air gap. There are lots of things that will work but you stick your neck out a bit by doing it or they simply look ugly.

5/8" type x fire rated drywall

No, I dont think sheetrock meets the code. The facings are only paper and it will break down. Even the so called fire rated stuff wont satisfy insurance or building code requirements.

Fire rated sheetrock is NOT a non-combustible wall for woodstove purposes. It's intended to slow the advance of a structure fire to allow more time for firefighters to get on the scene. That's ALL. It is NOT intended to be non-combustible, or to be used for any application that requires flame resistance.

i believe using 5/8 fire-rated drywall would be acceptable by your building codes.

No sheet rock will not suffice. something like durock which is 90% cement if tiled over might though.

No sheet rock will not suffice. something like durock which is 90% cement if tiled over might though.

I have used a cement board (forget the brand name) that is glass fiber reinforced but it still needs to be spaced off and vented from a combustible wall behind. It is ugly!
Different material combinations will give a stated percentage reduction in recommended clearances.

Here are some suggestions;

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001001-d001100/d001052/d001052.html

Last edited:
If you are looking for a 100% fire 'proof' wall, I'd go with steel studs, and face it with 4'X8' sheets of fiber cement siding (i.e. A James Hardi product). Now, another option is to use steel studs, faced with 1/2" type X sheetrock, and coat it with an ITC ceramic product. The product is water based, and used in refractory and forge linings... Whatever you coat it with won't catch on fire. I talked with the owner/developer of ITC products, and he's had a contract with NASA for years. The entire cat-walk below the shuttle launchpad is coated in ITC, and is routinely subjected to massive temperatures.

Only if it is outside the minimum specified clearances specified on the UL plaque attached to the stove.

true, but he said this:

....with the right hand side door being closer than 36"

i took that as being just the door and not the whole unit. specifics is always important. question is, is that with the door open or closed? if "open", it's not a big deal at all. if closed, then he should have stated the unit itself is <36".

"Cement Board, or a branded Durock IS classified as a non-combustible. We had fun trying to "combust" it with our brush pile flame thrower---nothing, not even charring.
It's a simple and cheap way to surround your stove. Using the minimum specs for the stoves, install ceramic spacers and a 1" bottom air spacing. The cut boards were painted with a flat black stove paint; the edges where the fabric is open and ugly, filled with black tinted tile cement. Voila, nice looking surround that's ~ 1/4 the cost of tile, stone, brick, or made protection ( not including the cheap and ugly stove "boards").
One warning: cement boards are a b___h to cut.

29 guage sheet metal, spaced 7/8" from the wall using steel studs, 3" off floor, 1" from ceiling, attached is the canadian standard

Interesting, I've been looking for something similar in the California building codes. I want to put a stove in my garage and the alternatives are using an older stove that specs 36" to combustible wall or buying one of the new stoves with much smaller clearances. I was planning on using two layers of Hardi-board with a 1" air gap between them. I'll see how the stove I have fits with the 18" clearance spec'd in that pdf. Thanks Woodfarmer, that helps!

Dok

I would use the Durock, then apply mesh. To the mesh you could either tile or use cultured stone. In the mason trade, they call em lick em and stick em.
I just priced em here for a home project. For 3 square yards, I think it was about $250.

Back