Need advice on felling a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostInTheWoods

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been given an approx 35-40' cherry (yea me!) that is somewhat dead at the top and leaning over. I was going to fell it this weekend. Literally the only thing in the way of the fall path was a port-o-pot and I have moved that (no there was no one in it at the time). But, as my luck would have it, the builder had the dumptster removed yesterday and a empty one delivered yesterday. Partially in the fall path.

So, if I look at it from one direction it looks like it will fall right over the middle of the dumpster, this is one of those long ones, maybe 20' used for construction site waste. If I look at the lean from a different direction it looks like it might just miss the thing.

Question: is there a method by which I can cut this thing to make it fall where I want? Will ropes help? I think I only need to influence it, in the fall, 15-20 degrees (side to side) in the way it is leaning. The lean (standing) is at about 75-80 degrees from standing directly up. Thoughts?

You need to cut a notch on the side of the tree where you want it to fall.
That aims the tree. The two cuts that make your notch need to meet exactly, if you miss, you need to cut again until it's nice and neat, and it aims where you want it to fall.
Then back cut straight in, leaving about and inch of wood all the way across the stump. This controls the tree while it falls. If you cut through this hinge wood by mistake, the tree just falls where ever it wants.
If you get the cuts all done and it doesn't fall, pull on the rope you put in before you started cutting, or pound a wedge into the back cut.
Even if you hit the dumpster, I don't think it could hurt it, it's pretty strong.
Before you cut, make a path to escape. Once it starts moving, don't stand there, move away so it doesn't bounce up and hit you in the face.
Ue some common sense. Make sure there's no people, animals, or cars, that could get hit. But you should have a helper, just in case of the unexpected.

With a living bottom, you should be able to notch it and get a good hinge to hold it till it's well on the way were you want it.

That old of a tree may be hollow, that would weaken your hold/hinge wood.
If you think there is a slight chance of being hollow or enough lean that it could barber-chair, by all means wrap a chain around it to give a small advantage, bore cut your last cut if cherry is prone to barber-chair (?)

And never get / be directly behind the tree, and give a glance up for the dead branch with your name on it!

Here is a link that has a few pointers, even if your from the school that OSHA is worthless, there are very few that can't learn something.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/felling/felling_direction/felling_direction.html

tre fallin

use a long rope to pull it the way you want it to go plus wedges and a proper directional face method.
for your future logging adventures go to baileysonline and order Professional timber Falling by Douglas Dent it will save your a@@ in the future. i keep a copy of the book in my truck for people like you who are wantabe loggers.
be safe and ask for advise if you aint sure what the he@@ to do about timber falling in suburbia;)
loggers rule :rock:

Ditto!!!

Ropes, and even a truck to tie your long AZZ rope to to make sure it falls where you need it to. Wedges... and buy that book by Dent at baileysonline.....

Double ditto!

Small note here: I always have a feeling of trepidation when people mention things like 'pretensioning' a tree to get it to move where you want, it was correctly stated to do your face cuts in the direction you want to go, if your fighting a lean, and pulling, please make sure you aren't initially pulling too hard as you will create a (in my opinion) potentially dangerous probability of slinging the base of the tree in an unwanted manner (barberchair or sling shot effect), I have seen people do this and thank the gods that be no one was hurt. So, face cut done and in right direction. Once the back cut is in, in the proper direction (check twice), maybe wedging for safety, and leaving a slightly larger hinge than usual, get outta there and then pull it over with what-ever force you decide to use. And yes I agree, a dumpster should take a fairly hefty blow, but then why? Think it out before you do it, watch for what could go wrong and act accordingly, use your head. Do watch for over-head stuff even if you think your out of the way of the trunk. This is only my 0.02$ worth and ther are many more here with more experience, do listen and have fun as well as enjoy a beautiful wood for both milling and burning. :) And oh, after thought here, I hear cherry (green bark on) makes excellent smokin' material.
Remember, safety first, beer later. :cheers:

If you are going to use a rope to help the fall, do not tie it off were the tree is dead. Also as mentioned above do not use the rope soley to help with the direction of the fall. If you are going to use wedges to help it over (recommended), put the first wedge on the side of the lean or the side you do not want it to fall, ie the side of the dumpster. Then finish cutting leaving an inch or two of holding wood. Pound the wedge until you see it begining to fall. Get out of there. The rope imho should be used as a back up only. Good luck, be careful and if at any time you think this may be over your head get a pro out there.

TackleTree said:
If you are going to use a rope to help the fall, do not tie it off were the tree is dead. Also as mentioned above do not use the rope soley to help with the direction of the fall. If you are going to use wedges to help it over (recommended), put the first wedge on the side of the lean or the side you do not want it to fall, ie the side of the dumpster. Then finish cutting leaving an inch or two of holding wood. Pound the wedge until you see it begining to fall. Get out of there. The rope imho should be used as a back up only. Good luck, be careful and if at any time you think this may be over your head get a pro out there.
get a pro to dump it go to a tree yard or pull a # off a truck they might give you a whole lotta trees in da future:greenchainsaw:

right on

TackleTree said:
just the right info and nothing else:rock:

jmack said:
get a pro to dump it go to a tree yard or pull a # off a truck they might give you a whole lotta trees in da future:greenchainsaw:
:bang:
this guy is a dumb a@@
buddy what the he@@ why do you trash people who want to learn
to learn anything you must do it even if you fail at it the first few times!!!:jester:

Thanks for this advice so far. Ekka, awesome video!

I need to get you guys some pics of this mother so you can see the lean, the tree quality (and the port-o-pot!! lol)

I'll cut it in about two weeks when my father in law shows up.

I'll get out there this weekend and snap some.

on the other hand...............

timberrat said:
:bang:
this guy is a dumb a@@
buddy what the he@@ why do you trash people who want to learn
to learn anything you must do it even if you fail at it the first few times!!!:jester:

this post is very helpful:notrolls2:

jmack offers good advice, here and in other posts.

Last edited:
Hey, some of these cell phones shoot video, I just did one today, not the best but hey gets the message across.

Pics would be good, when trying to show the lean try to have something verticle in the background (telegraph pole, house etc) to give perspective.

Also a wider view from way back so we can see potential side rope spots and side rope obstacles.

Felling trees is fun. :chainsaw:

see your husky dealer and ask for a free hand out on treework for the non professional.It has excellent diagrams and good definitions. You can flick through it until you feel satisfied.:chainsaw: you go for it. Be safe. check gear. and put in a good rope.good on you for having a go.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pics of this tree

Ok, here are the pics:

First: relative to dumpster
Second: lean vs the strait trees behind it
Third: rough amount of dumpster to clear
Fourth: More lean
Fifth: some rough diameter sizing, my hand right up against it

With a little help from a photoshop guru I think you can handle this. They can illustrate where to make face notch, wedge placement, back cut etc. But it appears to be managable for you. Good luck

I'm no expert by far by why don't you just move the dumpster and let it rip. Unless your wanting to learn the technique. Just my two pennies. Good luck

Brush Hog said:
I'm no expert by far by why don't you just move the dumpster and let it rip. Unless your wanting to learn the technique. Just my two pennies. Good luck

Move the dumpster, and let 'er rip!

looks like plenty of room

Looks like plenty of room....... just notch it .... cabel if you must and go for it..... ps those dumpsters are pretty rugged.....

Back