Need advice on purchasing a chipper...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrich713

Reaction score
im new on here and looking for some advice on purchasing a chipper.

Here's what i know about the chipper....

its a 2004 Bandit 280xp

505hrs, hydraulic winch,auto feed, 140hp cat engine, single axle.

new wheel bearings on the disc, new clutch.

the asking price is 17,000.

any advice on this would be helpful, thanks

im new on here and looking for some advice on purchasing a chipper.

Here's what i know about the chipper....

its a 2004 Bandit 280xp

505hrs, hydraulic winch,auto feed, 140hp cat engine, single axle.

new wheel bearings on the disc, new clutch.

the asking price is 17,000.

any advice on this would be helpful, thanks

what advice are you seeking exactly? that's a pretty good price for a 280 with only 500 hrs on it. have it checked out if your not sure what to look for. Better have a big rig to pull that heavy SOB
edit - I'm not real familliar with bandits but I wonder why all that was replaced at 500 hrs?

Last edited:
just asking if its a good deal or not. a good friend of mine checked it out thoroughly. and im not really sure why it had those things replaced with such low hrs. also i have a duramax diesel truck that with pull it for sure

That's alot of machine for a small truck to pull...even with the duramax.
Price isn't bad.
That's the light duty model...you may find that it lacks power to chip large material if you do alot of it.

Price isn't bad.
That's the light duty model...you may find that it lacks power to chip large material if you do alot of it.

140 horse and that's the light duty model? chip large material hoeky crow what are you's chipping man!

Price isn't bad.

Light duty meaning a single axle? Again not too familliar with bandits but isn't the 280 an 18 inch chipper? If so I would think its in the 8-9k lb range. My poor f-600 is getting redone because my 1800 (8600 lbs) beats it up.

What kind of truck, duramax in what chassis? They put those motors in pick ups

Last edited:
Light duty meaning a single axle? Again not too familliar with bandits but isn't the 280 an 18 inch chipper? If so I would think its in the 8-9k lb range. My poor f-600 is getting redone because my 1800 (8600 lbs) beats it up.

What kind of truck, duramax in what chassis? They put those motors in pick ups

280 light duty:
weighs about 10,000#
single axle
140 max horsepower

280HD:
weighs about 13,000#
dual axle
213 max horsepower

Both machines are 18" capacity

weight

8,600lbs killed your F-600? Bad truck or bad drivers? Back when I hauled hay from KS to Northern AR. Yes, down thru the Branson hill country. Yes, more than 5 x 8,600. '96 one-ton Dodge 12-valve modified. 5-speed. Hydralic over disk brakes on trailer.
Bought and sold hay by the ton.

With those parts being replaced with so little hours, I would guess two things:

Hour meter doesnt work. easy to check, start the machine and watch the meter, if it doesnt move, it dont work.

The machine was abused. Someone wasnt engaging the clutch properly or maybe they tried to chip rail road tracks. Idk

Check it out good, and go with your gut.

Back