Need advice on replacing 028 clutch springs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerjw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can this be done without removing the clutch? If so, any tips on how to get the old springs off and the new ones on would be appreciated. They seem to really be under a lot of pressure. Would I be better off letting my local Stihl dealer do it or is this something I can do myself?

Ive never attempted to change them while the clutch was still on the saw. I guess it could be done with patients.Its easier said than done but why not take off clutch and replace.Also why are you changing them? If they are worn they will almost pop out with a little screwdriver. Going back i would use needlenose pliers.:greenchainsaw:

Changing the clutch springs is the last thing that I know to try to stop my chain from moving when my saw is at idle. I've already tried adjusting the idle and greasing the clutch bearing. I'm not opposed to removing the clutch in order to replace the springs, just never done it.

I'm over in the western part of the state. I just bought two 028 Supers. They seem like great cutting saws, but both have the same moving chain problem after they warm up.

I almost always do them on the saw... Jamb the piston, use a small hook and a strong grip. If however....the springs are on from the back, you have no choice but to take the clutch off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back