Need advise for new saddle purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukntz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this site and thought I would get some advise from everyone. I am an "old school" arborist. When I was starting out we were still using manila rope! My saddle is getting pretty ratty and thought I should invest in a new one. The twist is, I what to use it for hunting also. I saw a item called the "tree suit" used for deer hunting from a tree. You use a sling to secure yourself to the tree from a single, center point and then you just sit back in the saddle and are free to swing around the tree to shoot 360 deg. So, I am looking for a saddle that is comfortable to sit in for several hours, without pinching the thighs. I see a lot of the new gear is hi-bred mountain climbing gear, and am looking for advise in which saddle would work best for both my applications. One similar hunting harness I saw has an improvised seat built into it for long hours sitting still in the tree. Any suggestions on what type of harness/saddle I should be looking for? Thanks..............

Last edited:
You must be as old as me!:cheers: I advise all new climbers to get a belt with leg strapps. I've been hanging upside down and had my but strap only belt slide right off my hips and caught hanging by my knees. My deer stands are pemanent and about the size of a standard shipping pallet. I still use my old but strap double D-ring saddle. I wrap the D's with duct tape to keep them quite. I then tie in a little above eye level and leave just enough tension on my line so I can sit on my little padded bench. Not tight enough to pinch hips or but. I can turn 360 and have just enough pressure on me to keep my balance and feel comfortable. Although if you use my method you wouldn't be able to buy some of that really neat new stuff, Joe.

I wear a full body harness while deer hunting from traditional tree stands. I teach hunter safety and got a good deal and on a Hunter Safety Systems vest. This Tree Suit idea is a little different. You get up to your desired height in the tree and then just hang in this saddle to hunt. My old leather tree saddle with the 1 1/2" wide leg straps wouldn't be that comfortable for an afternoon of hunting. I am thinking of one of the new styles with a floating ring out front to allow me to turn around and shoot in any direction. Heres the web site for a better idea of what I am looking for....http://treesuit.com/

The most comfortable saddle in my opinion is the pennicle deluxe. Its around $400 but worth every pennie. Make sure you get the deluxe with the quick connect leg straps. But you definantly want a bosen seat saddle. they have a seat in them.

Last edited:
Back