Need Climber in New Orleans ASAP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmarkt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, currently under contract till the end of the month (September 30) doing full removals and hangers. Currently I'm the only climber so every time I go deal with paper work or have something come up the job pretty much shuts down. I really need an experienced climber ASAP.

Actually working in Metairie.

Climber pay to start at $16 an hour with over time paid, we're currently working 7 days a week 12 hour days so you could easily be doing $1,700 per week.

Please email me at [email protected] or 850-554-5440.

Thanks,

Mark

$16/hr for experienced climber doing storm work?
Do you know of any one who can climb 12 hours a day 7 days a week?
Good luck.

Dont go to New Orleans

First of all sixteen dollars an hour is fine if your just learning but for any experianced climbers 25+ with overtime is more reasonable considering your travelling and especialy for government contracts. But touch on government contracts. I was recently in New Orleans and let me tell you if you like long hours with a smelly trash like environment, working for people who are only interested in how much government money they can make on you than go for it. Basically it breaks down like this in terms of chain of comand. Army corps-government contractor-civilian contracter-independant contracter-than you. The independants are makeing $300-$400 per ticket. A ticket is the same as a contract or job if you like, and you are given genneraly a packet of 10. Crews right now are averaging 7.1 tickets a day. Now if you add in costs of living, Hotel ( which should be paid for by your employer-if working for an independant contractor) materials and labor @ DECENT PAY not BUll *#!% pay, one crew needs to do at least 10 tickets per day barely break even. Oh ya lets discuss why theyre only averageing 7.1. I mentiond tickets comeing in packs of ten. What happens if 2 or 3 of those tickets require a day or more for theyr completion. That means That for a full day of work your entire crew minimum of 5 is only earning $300-$400 per day. I know first hand that my companies first 2 packets had 4 days worth of Bull *#!%. and in 8 days we only made $5400. I should have stayed home making 1500 per day. The government is simply not offering enough money to make it worth wild unless you could mobilize 4 or 5 crews with plenty of the right equipment, then a company might make it over sveral months. Personaly I would not go back unless I was gauranteed $400-$500 per day, and I new there was a minimum of 3 crews of fully motivated and team oriented tree men. Not skelaton crews and douce bags which is common down there. And by the way No offense to the man that wrote this thread I am simply tring to keep a fellow brother from making the same mistake that I did. And to the contimplateing traveler to New Orleans, Do your home work ours wasnt the only crew pulling out. And did I mention It smells realy bad down there. Good luck To All:sucks:

Last edited:
I went to New Orleans in November 05, right after Katrina to try to get some decent contracts. Had good finaincial backing and people to go with me. All I saw was the same old Prime contractors doing the same old thing. They give the good tickets to a select few. The money they pay just wont cover the over head unless you use illeagal labors and don't pay tax and workers comp on them, or hire some one, pay them good for a few weeks, then start paying patial paycheks, keep stringing them along until you both go broke.
I have seen hundreds of small tree companys go broke working for these jokers.
It really sickening to see tax dollar disaster relief be managed in such a way. The sad thing is that the government doesn't even care that the federal funding is being so illeagaly used.

Hey guys, currently under contract till the end of the month (September 30) doing full removals and hangers. Currently I'm the only climber so every time I go deal with paper work or have something come up the job pretty much shuts down. I really need an experienced climber ASAP.

Actually working in Metairie.

Climber pay to start at $16 an hour with over time paid, we're currently working 7 days a week 12 hour days so you could easily be doing $1,700 per week.

Please email me at [email protected] or 850-554-5440.

Thanks

Mark

I was paying that 10 years ago, for a good climber, to stay at home, on Alabama economy.

I still find it hard to believe that climbers make 25 bucks an hour working for someone else ,with workers comp and other things on top of that. Maybe it's because of where I am located. I know it's all relative to location but $16 is probly tops around here. I know, I know most of you wouldnt climb for less than 20 an hour , if you lived here you would, or starve. If the economy slows as it looks like it is some may even be happy to get that 16. I dont need an argument and am not trying to start 1 ,just saying its different here.

$16/hr to stay at home and work full time is a lot different from working disaster area until the end of the month. That gets head hunters wages.

Ok, ok, ok! I hear you guys, bad starting point for pay! Sorry!

I just posted a new thread and am offering a starting point at $300 per day but willing to got to $500 if needed for an experienced guy.

There is only 12-14 days of work left and really need some more climbers. For the first 2.5 weeks I did all the climbing and ran the crew, did all the gov't paperwork, etc. Too much for 1 person.

If any of you guys are interested in some REAL good money please get up with me. I am a sub contractor but are working directly for the Prime contractor that has the contract directly under the Army Corp of Engineers who is overseeing for FEMA.

Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated! Thanks,

Mark Taylor
850-554-5440

Mark, see my post in your post for $500 per day

Hopefully this will give an understanding of the tree industry and the close knit community in the tree industry.

Back