Need help choosing a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm going to purchase my first ever chainsaw. It's only for occasional use...about 3-4 times per year. It would only be used to cut down small trees (typical suburan homes) that I sometimes get asked to do for my lawn maintenance clients. I've narrowed my choices down to:

1. Stihl MS180: $330

2. Husqvarna 440: $380

3. Husqvarna 445: $419

4. Stihl MS250: $430

All come with a case, dvd, hat and extra chain.
I have a budget of $500 to spend (including tax). All prices are Canadian.

Any advice as to which one would be best investment.

I'm going to purchase my first ever chainsaw. It's only for occasional use...about 3-4 times per year. It would only be used to cut down small trees (typical suburan homes) that I sometimes get asked to do for my lawn maintenance clients. I've narrowed my choices down to:

1. Stihl MS180: $330

2. Husqvarna 440: $380

3. Husqvarna 445: $419

4. Stihl MS250: $430

All come with a case, dvd, hat and extra chain.
I have a budget of $500 to spend (including tax). All prices are Canadian.

Any advice as to which one would be best investment.

you guys get free cases, hats, and dvds with Stihl purchases in Canada?????
I had to ask the guy where the hell my free schrench was. :mad:

At the risk of totaling killing your desire to get this chainsaw (due to the fact that I am female responding to a chainsaw inquiry), but for what you are describing I would go with the cheapest alternative on your list. The StihlMS180 is an excellent saw. Is capable of cutting small diameter trees no problem and handles the day-to-day work reliably. Mine came without the easy start option that I believe is standard now and which is a nice feature.

Sylvia

saw type

Husky will run at more rpm than Stihl which means they cut faster.Stihl seems to stay together better.I think the Stihl 250 does not have enough power for its size. If it were me buying a saw for occasional use I would go with Husky and buy the biggest 1 you can afford. xp models are their pro series and a little more expensive but worth it. I run Stihl and Husky and they are both great saws.

Out of the choices listed I would say the MS250. The 1 horsepower extra over the MS180 is worth the extra $100 in my opinion. I have used a friends 180 a few times and felt it was just ok enough for small limbing at best.

Joed,
The MS180 should be fine for what you describe - especially if you are happy with the dealer. I use an 015AV (about the same size) for a lot for small stuff and it's plenty fast and light. Spend the extra $$ on PPE - Chaps, face shield, etc., especially since it's your first saw.

first saw

:popcorn: :popcorn: I would like to also suggest the Dolmar/Makita. I recently purchased a Makita dcs 510. I was really impressed with the quality and performance of this saw. If dealer support is an issue then go with another brand. You also might want to check Dealers for Efco and Solo as they have good rep's but don't get the press. What ever saw You get, also think about investing in safety chaps and other PPE. Good luck and happy "sawing":chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Go with the ms 250

the ms 250 is a great saw that will last. i have had an older o25 and that thing just wont die or break and i just bought a newer ms 250 for 75$ practically new because my buddy thought it was crap but it only needed tuning. its got decent power with a 18'' bar. it is a good saw but if you could, get the 260-pro it is well worth the money and one of the best.

Here in ohio we had a bad wind storm and it knocked down and damaged alot and alot of trees, and when i went into my dealer to get my chains sharpened there were alot of home owners with ms180-170s getting the fixed ( probably because they dont know how to use them, but mostly because there junk, triggers are week and dont feel well built.)

Hmm. I have a 250 and I reckon it doesn't have enough power with an 18" bar, especially not cutting large rounds of ash that bury the whole bar.

My firewood buddy uses a 180 and tends to cut about as fast as me with my 250 because he's got one of those rapid micro chains, that is narrower and allows you to cut fast.

My plan is to get a 460 or similar with a 20" bar for serious logs, and buy a replacement 14" bar for the 250, for which it'll have enough power.

No other complaints about the 250 though, nice reliable saw, just shouldn't be selling them with 18" bars.

My MS180C was 200.00 and I am very happy with it for light occassional use. I am going to change it to 14" 3/8 LoPro chisel from the PMMC.

2Door

got my 180 for 150 on ebay. I had an 025 and it was a little too small so I traded it for credit on a 290 now Im wishing I bought a 361 cause its lighter and has more power. I really like the 180 for limbing and deerstand work. the east start option is just extra weight and I got rid of the quick chain adjuster and put a regular cover and adjuster on it.

The 18'' bar will get the job done!! and if your bucking bigger logs you shouldn't even look at the 250. but if its all you can afford an 18'' bar will do just fine on it.

check with your local dealers and see if they sell used saws. I talked to mine and he had 2 028's in good shape he was selling for $200. an 028 would probably be the best size for overall firewood cutting and at 200 bucks it would be a steal considering they are over 400 new.

The 18'' bar will get the job done!! and if your bucking bigger logs you shouldn't even look at the 250. but if its all you can afford an 18'' bar will do just fine on it.

In theory an 18" bar should be able to buck up to 36". I've done it with the 250, but as I said, it's a bit slow.

The plan was always to get a modest saw first and get something a bit more serious later. Saving up for a 460 now.

In hindsight I reckon I should have gone with a 180 to start off with and save the extra towards the bigger saw.

:givebeer: go for the ms 250 i'v got one andit was my first STIHL and it is worth all the money, never had any problems with i, i have a 16" bar on it and it eats everything:chainsaw:

Help

Joed,

If you are just looking for an occasional use saw, I would suggest a Husqvarna 435 as an alternate that was not listed. I sell them at 249.95 here at my store. They are a new model and I think it would be a good fit for you. Provided of course, that you weren't looking to get a power house.

Latest posts

Back