Need help choosing bar and chain for 365 special BB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpOnTheHill

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
In the process of buying the 365 special with big bore top end in the tradin post (76cc). Been doing a lot of reading on chain types, brands, etc and having trouble deciding what I want to go with. This saw will be used for cutting firewood period. I cut about 20 to 25 face cord a year. I do fell some trees that are dying and some trees are wind blown, already down, etc. I've been using my husky 350 for about 10 years now but it's time for something bigger as I've been getting into some bigger trees, the biggest about 24 to 30 inches. Most are in the 12 to 20 inch range though. The 350 wears an 18 inch b&c but will downsize to 16 and be used for limbing and tight work if this 365 works out. Mostly hardwood around here - maple, oak, ash. Most of my cutting is pretty clean and I'm very careful with my chains. I touch them up every 1 to 2 tank fulls of fuel. I don't hit many rocks, nails, dirt. I want to decide between a 20 or 24 inch bar and I was thinking a full comp semi chisel chain. I'd like a balance between the fastest cut I can get with the least amount of sharpening. I'd like the saw to be balanced well also so any input from 365/372 users and what size and brand bars they are using would be helpful. Thanks for all your help, this forum has been fantastic! My wife thinks I have a chainsaw problem though because I read on here every night. I find chainsaws interesting and have since I was a young boy. I used to look forward to reading chainsaw ads when the newspaper would come. I fondly remember always looking for the mcculloch eager beaver ad. I've wanted to own one ever since for some reason. Enough carryin' on, send me your thoughts.
Regards

Our 365special is happiest with a 20" bar. We have a 28" bar for special occasions, but rarely use it. If you are used to a 350, you are going to be floored with the performance of a 365.

I'm thinking a 20 or 24, .050, 3/8. Is the 3/8 the only pitch these came with? Gotta make sure I get that right! Any reason to go with a larger gauge than .050?

Mine runs a .050 3/8 because that's what's regionally popular. I'm pretty sure they only came with 3/8 chain, but I'm sure there were .058 gauge ones out there too.

Mine runs a .050 3/8 because that's what's regionally popular. I'm pretty sure they only came with 3/8 chain, but I'm sure there were .058 gauge ones out there too.

There surely are, in most of the world they usually came with .058.

I agree on a 20" bar as the main one - it usually is the best balance for those saws.

SawTroll - I value your opinion and thanks for posting. What are the advantages of running .058 compared to .050 beside chain strength? I'm no chain expert (obviously) but it seems the weak point in a chainsaw chain would be the rivets? From what I've read, the gauge doesn't affect the kerf, does it affect cutting speed in other ways? Just curious. I'm sure any speed difference is not noticeable for the work I do. Maybe a larger gauge is less wear on the bar as it spreads the friction over a greater area?

SawTroll - I value your opinion and thanks for posting. What are the advantages of running .058 compared to .050 beside chain strength? I'm no chain expert (obviously) but it seems the weak point in a chainsaw chain would be the rivets? From what I've read, the gauge doesn't affect the kerf, does it affect cutting speed in other ways? Just curious. I'm sure any speed difference is not noticeable for the work I do. Maybe a larger gauge is less wear on the bar as it spreads the friction over a greater area?

.050 is just fine for wat your into........you'll wear your cutter's out before the rivet's. 20" - 24" would be a good choice......I also kept a 28" around for bigger removal's, but the 395 done most of the big stuff. I even run .050 ga. w/a 32".....no problems.
I away's prefered full chisel.......but I like flyin thru a chunk of wood.

Take it for what it's worth (free advice), I agree with the others regarding 20-24" 0.050, full chisel , full comp. Unless 60% of the time you cutting muddy logs the full chisel is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no differense in strength or in kerf between .050 and .058, as it is just the drive tangs that is thinner on the .050 Chain.

However, the .058 has a slight advantage when/if the cutting conditions make the slot in the bar tend to clog.

I went with an oregon pro-lite in the 20 inch flavor with full chisel. Haven't got the B&C yet from bailey's but got the saw today. Took 2 days for shipping from conn to ny, not bad! Here is the box it came in. Isn't this like breaking a rule or something? I guess it's a JRed so its ok lol. I put a few drops of mix in it and she fired right up. Noticeably more power than my 350! Haven't put it in wood yet but it sure seems promising.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
I went with an oregon pro-lite in the 20 inch flavor with full chisel. Haven't got the B&C yet from bailey's but got the saw today. Took 2 days for shipping from conn to ny, not bad! Here is the box it came in. Isn't this like breaking a rule or something? I guess it's a JRed so its ok lol. I put a few drops of mix in it and she fired right up. Noticeably more power than my 350! Haven't put it in wood yet but it sure seems promising.

Im confused, I thought you were looking at buying a 365 special..? Jonsereds are nice saws, I love mine. What model did you end up getting?

BTW, where in the fingerlakes reagion are you? I grew up in Odessa...

Im confused, I thought you were looking at buying a 365 special..? Jonsereds are nice saws, I love mine. What model did you end up getting?

BTW, where in the fingerlakes reagion are you? I grew up in Odessa...
I did buy the 365sp, it came in a JRed box. Sorry my post should have been more descriptive, it was kind of confusing. I'm in Bristol up on top of one of the hills. I know where Odessa is but never been there.

congrats on the new to you saw. the 365/372s are nice saws. I just gave away 3 24'' oregon husky bars last summer wish i had known i would have given you one.

I ive about 30 mins from Odessa.

congrats on the new to you saw. the 365/372s are nice saws. I just gave away 3 24'' oregon husky bars last summer wish i had known i would have given you one.

I ive about 30 mins from Odessa.

Its a nice area, will always have a spot in my heart for those rolling hills.

Latest posts

Back