Need help for Ticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 woodpile

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Fairly new to this forum a few mths. now.... Anyway I got a problem with ticks, yesterday I was cutting splitting all day kept finding ticks on me.. 13 in all found 6 today, also I would like to no if there is a spray our something I could put on... I also have a little grandson if there some to put on him also he only 23 mths old that won't affect him... I pick ticks of my dogs just about every nite...

Any help would be accepted thanks...

I think it was called "Flowers of Sulphur" or "Flour of Sulphur" that we would but in a sock and dust around our ankles, pantlegs and waist before going out in the woods. To my knowlegde it was harmless to us but repeled the ticks and pests of the woods while on outpost 30 years ago in the scouts.

It was available at the drugstore then. You might have to go to a farmstore to find it now. Like most other things , its sale is probably controlled. 4 ounces will last quite a while if you can still find it.

Hi all,
Fairly new to this forum a few mths. now.... Anyway I got a problem with ticks, yesterday I was cutting splitting all day kept finding ticks on me.. 13 in all found 6 today, also I would like to no if there is a spray our something I could put on... I also have a little grandson if there some to put on him also he only 23 mths old that won't affect him... I pick ticks of my dogs just about every nite...

Deet is effective on ticks or spray the area and give it a day or two
before working there again. They make a good yard spray for mixing called
high yield 38 it is about the most potent you can get since diazonon was
taken off shelf.

I think it was called "Flowers of Sulphur" or "Flour of Sulphur" that we would but in a sock and dust around our ankles, pantlegs and waist before going out in the woods. To my knowlegde it was harmless to us but repeled the ticks and pests of the woods while on outpost 30 years ago in the scouts.

It was available at the drugstore then. You might have to go to a farmstore to find it now. Like most other things , its sale is probably controlled. 4 ounces will last quite a while if you can still find it.

Most likely seven dust I have used it too but not as effective as 100%
deet but probably safer. I would spray my yard with high yield 38 and
be done with the sob's.

Thanks alot guys I going get some of this and kill them SOBs... What a great forum...:cheers:

Hi all,

Permethrin. The US Army uses it.

http://www.travmed.com/trip_prep/insect_permethrin.htm
http://www.rei.com/product/629270

Hang your pants on the fence and spray them up to about mid to high thigh. The stuff lasts well. Wear combat boots with your pants tucked in so they have no entrance at your pantleg. The ticks will get groggy and fall off at about your knee.

Just remember, ticks only crawl up. They will like warm areas like your crotch and armpits and the top of your pants/belt area. Check yourself. If you find one, the Army says pull it out immediately put it in a bag and go see the doc. In Maryland, about 25% of the ticks have Lyme disease and you definitely do not want that.

Last edited:
Permethrin. The US Army uses it.

http://www.travmed.com/trip_prep/insect_permethrin.htm
http://www.rei.com/product/629270

Hang your pants on the fence and spray them up to about mid to high thigh. The stuff lasts well. Wear combat boots with your pants tucked in so they have no entrance at your pantleg. The ticks will get groggy and fall off at about your knee.

Just remember, ticks only crawl up. They will like warm areas like your crotch and armpits and the top of your pants/belt area. Check yourself. If you find one, the Army says pull it out immediately put it in a bag and go see the doc. In Maryland, about 25% of the ticks have Lyme disease and you definitely do not want that.

That is for clothes here it helps a little but they will eat you up if that
is all you use. We have the worst numbers of ticks I have ever seen
and I have lived in many states. Our company gave us both the green can
of permethrin and the little bottles of 100% deet the deet is what was used.
Deep woods off the ticks here think is candy it would work for getting out
at a picnic but working in the sticks no.

malthion or sevin, 2 of the few organophosphates left on the market.....permethrin is a joke, waste of time and money, none of the pyrethrin based chemicals work......

Do you live in the country? I got some Guiena's the birds not the pig! Those things are tick eating machines, we used to have a tick problem in the spring months with our dogs and us. Last year I didn't find a one. After we bought some keets (baby guienas) and raised them my wife wanted chickens, so now we have 75 birds in all, they are always on the wood piles eating bugs and such. it works out great they eat the bugs and I eat their eggs:cheers:

A freshly attached tick on a person will quickly drop off if given a shot of insect repellent, the DEET containing stuff. I have tried that on dogs and it never worked.

A freshly attached tick on a person will quickly drop off if given a shot of insect repellent, the DEET containing stuff. I have tried that on dogs and it never worked.
I never saw insect repellent work to get rid of one attached to me, although I have tried several times. The tick laughed at it. Note that a tick is not an insect. It has eight legs. These bugs are tough and hold on like bull dogs...
d-var-m.gif

Ok i got some deet I haven't had a tick on me now... But pull 8 of them of my dogs today... Yesterday we had a birthday party for my little grandson everone was outside and guess what fatherlaw got bit by a tick, everyone had ticks on them... I have 5 acres 3 grass and 2 woods. I did some research on these did anyone here try this View attachment 81673 I just need to spray my property or burn it this is bad I had ticks but not this bad...

Thanks for all your help...

Oh, they are in the yard. Get a broadcast spreader and 5-6 bags of Ortho Grub and insect killer granules. Then a Diazonon flea and tick sprayer that you attatch to the garden hose and wet everything down that you put down with the broadcast spreader.

They dont get better on their own, only worse.

I help out an older woman and for the last few years the ticks at her place were getting worse. To the point that I would have 50 or more just going through the back yard. The granules would help knock back the shear # of them but everyother week just wasnt enough to kill them off completely. The combination of the spray and the granules finally did them in the first time down.

One trick I remember from years ago is if a tick is so imbeded on the dog rather than brake its head off light a large wood match then blow it out & place it on the tic he will back out. Needless to say dont light the dog on fire.

Deet is effective on ticks ... (rest snipped)

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

I have a ton of DEET spray. For some reason the Goodwill by my brother's gets gobs of the stuff. I bougt 10 cans for $4. Some is Deep Woods Off, and the rest is Cutter. They vary in percentage, but that stuff is the only thing that works here for biting bugs (skeeters, ticks, and fleas).

Funny, I never had a tick to bite me. Ever. Must be the ugly in me, or the foul blood. Or so says the ex, who gets gobs of ticks on her, and they dig right into her fast. I have found 10 ticks on her at a time. She is also highly allergic to them, and has to take benadryl and use hydrocortisone to keep the swelling down once she is bitten. She hates using Deet, but if she doesn't, she is just bait.

Advantage or Frontline keeps them off the dogs and cats pretty good. You can get it in Australia for about half what it goes for here. Best price is at www.deadfleaz.com. They are good and ship fast, and take Paypal or CC.

Last edited:
All right, here's the old school Farmer trick, which my dad claimed worked. What you do is take a couple of cattle ear tags and affix them to your boots, near the top. But sounds like you need the guinie's.

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

I have a ton of DEET spray. For some reason the Goodwill by my brother's gets gobs of the stuff. I bougt 10 cans for $4. Some is Deep Woods Off, and the rest is Cutter. They vary in percentage, but that stuff is the only thing that works here for biting bugs (skeeters, ticks, and fleas).

Funny, I never had a tick to bite me. Ever. Must be the ugly in me, or the foul blood. Or so says the ex, who gets gobs of ticks on her, and they dig right into her fast. I have found 10 ticks on her at a time. She is also highly allergic to them, and has to take benadryl and use hydrocortisone to keep the swelling down once she is bitten. She hates using Deet, but if she doesn't, she is just bait.

Advantage or Frontline keeps them off the dogs and cats pretty good. You can get it in Australia for about half what it goes for here. Best price is at www.deadfleaz.com. They are good and ship fast, and take Paypal or CC.

Ehhhhhhh ticks don't like us old arnry farts :laugh:
Seriously though ticks are terrible in the south combine longer
growing season mild winters = bad tick problems. I don't get too
many compared to many but seed ticks will get anybody and chiggars
and redbugs are thick as flies here and if you miss one spot with the deet
they attack. I have been spraying my farm for the buggers, when I first
got here they were absolutely awful ,now they are hard to find and if
I could get the fire ants in control; I would think of planting grass like the
city people!

Last edited:
Ticks like Pine bark and winter in its layers of cavities. Lots of people with tick problems get rid of Pine trees around their house and yard. I have several neighbors that have been hospitalized with "tick fever."

If you do pull one off of yourself, watch the place and make sure that it doesn't start to get infected, swell, show "rings" or otherwise be abnormal. Itching and redness is normal for a while after you remove one. I've pulled many of those blood suckers off but thank God they were not serious disease carriers.

For the little kids deet products are not good. Use a non-DEET product.

Some product reviews: http://www.consumersearch.com/insect-repellent/reviews

Back