Need help identifying a pine tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Mc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm stumped on this one.

We were at a client's place who has purchased numerous species of trees over the years from various places. She purchased two of these pines here in western Montana at a nursery that has since gone out of business. (Zone 4) We identified everything else on her property but these two beautiful pine trees.

The kicker, for me, is that the bark looks like a white pine but it is a 2 (sometimes 3) needle pine. It appears to be grafted. I believe the bright, blue cone should be diagnostic but can't come up with an id for it. I have included pictures of the tree, a close up of the bark, which is very smooth, a cone and an immature cone. Colors in these pictures are very accurate.

Ask questions if you need more information, but I would love to find out what kind of pine this is.

Sylvia

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got very excited seeing the picture of the Pinus hartwegii, Mexican red pine, cone; however, upon searching further, it is a 5 needle pine.

I am definitely leaning towards the Pinus heldreichii/leucodermis, Bosnian pine. Even though they are listed Zone 6 to 8, we have them in our nurseries. I can now go and compare the bark. I could find photos of the cones (dead ringers) and growth pattern (ditto) but for some reason I am having a difficult time coming up with a photo of the bark on google to compare.

Thank you both for your help!

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back