Need Help IDing Old Mccullochs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed being on here haha nothing like being harrased at 8:30 in the AM about chainsaw pics.

I'm in California....That's 0830 for me. I was up and on the board. I did go outside to look at the saws. The starter on the GD wasn't catching every time so I took it apart. One of the pawls wasn't returning to center. I put a few drops of Kroil on it and it freed up. They both have tons of compression and the DD has spark. No spark on the GD. I suspect that will change after the points are filed.

These saws are in great shape and complete. I am impressed with their condition. They didn't see a lot of use.

I won't get pictures until later today after church. I have to put the shell on my truck and pack up for a camping trip next week so I have a lot to do today.

I had a chance to look at the saws a little closer and snap some pictures.

795:

IMG_4657_zpsfivdkp9o.jpg

IMG_4658_zpsrwlet8ij.jpg

IMG_4659_zpssp8aaycp.jpg

IMG_4660_zpsw73yhqfe.jpg

IMG_4661_zpsehhlpcxn.jpg

IMG_4662_zpslmmyt5hn.jpg

IMG_4663_zpsyeo3q11q.jpg

797/895 or 797 GD:

IMG_4650_zpshlcv7iz4.jpg

IMG_4651_zpswgtsahyf.jpg

IMG_4652_zpswsttrtsz.jpg

IMG_4653_zpsasrshjfi.jpg

IMG_4654_zps7jw2mwrq.jpg

IMG_4655_zps2gczdb4a.jpg

IMG_4656_zpskxlut7ol.jpg

Decompression valve

Bars that came with the saws:

IMG_4664_zpsc9pyauhs.jpg

Not quite as long as I thought but I'm not complaining:
From the end of my tailgate working toward the cab these are the overall lengths:
63" (General)
56" (McCulloch)
45" (Oregon)
40" (???)

IMG_4665_zps9vtotzjp.jpg

Closeup of the McCulloch bar

IMG_4666_zpshvat1a7h.jpg

Another

IMG_4667_zpshlx3re5t.jpg

He gave me this one two weeks ago. It's a 50" Canon

IMG_4668_zpshnbvkfh8.jpg

I don't know what's with the green paint.

The deal came with a brand new .404 chain for the 63" General bar and a brand new .404 chain for the 56" McCulloch bar.

Save enough calling it a "797 gear drive" as four of those last pictures show a DSP lever. Both of the saws look like they have a lot of potential!

That General bar, the Oregon with a roller nose, and the Cannon would fix those two saws up real purty!

Mac never made a gear drive drive saw with the 66251 block number. Because I can now see the DSP lever in your pics, that means someone has put a 797 block in a 895 saw, the only gear drive that had a DSP. So your gear drive saw is a 895, with a 797 block.

Damn, real saws from my old stomping grounds. When I was a kid those were what we called chainsaws.

I bought a pair of big old DD Macs with 36 inch bars on them when I lived in Monterey. What, 30 years ago now? I made a lot of money with them cleaning up storm damage.

Mac never made a gear drive drive saw with the 66251 block number. Because I can now see the DSP lever in your pics, that means someone has put a 797 block in a 895 saw, the only gear drive that had a DSP. So your gear drive saw is a 895, with a 797 block.

That's what I thought I had. I heard that some call these hybrids "797G"

895 with the 797 block, 123cc gear drive with auto oiler... wood cutting machine! Not as uncommon as one would think, seems this was done fairly often for some production wood cutting and seeing the area they came from..... that saw was a logging saw probably used in the redwoods. It's got the H&S spike as well.... big tree spike for sure.

I got the story on the saw from my friend who got it for me. This saw was privately owned and used for timber on acreage in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

A 85 year old man came in to the used tool shop to sell a lifetime accumulation of stuff. It turns out he was born on the property and had a business making custom gun stocks. My friend said that he had some incredible tools up there. He said you don't see a collection like that in many years. Anyway he knew he wouldn't be able to use the tools and his kids and grand-kids weren't interested so he sold everything.

He said he had bought the saws to drop trees on the property to make room for his hop and out buildings. He didn't want to sell the saws but he realized he couldn't use them so he let them go. I got them for what my friend paid. I did pretty well with the extra bars and everything.

I'd say so... if the urge arises to let a big bar go... I've got a couple old timber saws that would be appreciative of a nice bar. Very nice find you have there, fun to run! Like yours, one of mine is an 895 gear drive powered by an MC100 motor.

Bars that came with the saws:

IMG_4664_zpsc9pyauhs.jpg

Not quite as long as I thought but I'm not complaining:
From the end of my tailgate working toward the cab these are the overall lengths:
63" (General)
56" (McCulloch)
45" (Oregon)
40" (???)

IMG_4665_zps9vtotzjp.jpg

Closeup of the McCulloch bar

IMG_4666_zpshvat1a7h.jpg

Another

IMG_4667_zpshlx3re5t.jpg

He gave me this one two weeks ago. It's a 50" Canon

IMG_4668_zpshnbvkfh8.jpg

I don't know what's with the green paint.

The deal came with a brand new .404 chain for the 63" General bar and a brand new .404 chain for the 56" McCulloch bar.
Any chance you still got this 56" and want to sell?

Back