Need help Jonsered or Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsp31

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some help fast, am in the middle of purchasing a new saw and am curious on what the feeling are in quality of Jonsered vs. Stihl. I had narrowed down to a MS 280 but after reading some posts am leaning more toward the 260. My other option is the Jonsered 2152. Whichever saw I'm wanting an 18 inch bar. This is to do wildlife work (edge feathering), basically dropping trees and leaving to lay to create brush. Most will be 12 inch diameter or smaller but will encouter an occasional larger tree. I've run Stihl in the past but was concerned if quality was going downhill. Heard nothing but positive on the Jonsereds on another site and could save a few $$$$ going that way. Thanks.

Thanks. I have run a stihl and have had no problems other than the kill switch. Just heard real good things on the Jonsered as well. Do you think for my application I'd be better off with the 280 or 260.

Jonsered

attachment.php

Last edited:
both are excellent saws.I admit I like the looks of the Jonsered,But have always had nothing but good service from Stihl

Your best bet would be the Jonsered. I would suggest the 2159 with a 20" bar. Have the dealer switch it to .325 pitch chain on the 20". It will be by far the best 425.00 you can spend on a saw.

Not to mention that Jonsereds have a better Anti vibe system and air filtration. Then The stihls that you are looking at.

Just get a 3120xp. You never know when you will get the urge to mill some lumber, and you will not suffer from the "did I buy a big enough saw?" syndrome.

Either saw would be fine...it's just that, as you can see, most here believe that bigger is better. So buy the one you want, but don't come back here looking for emotional support if you get buyers remorse because you didn't get a big enough saw. You'll find no pity among this crowd...only "I told you so's".:hmm3grin2orange:

Need some help fast, am in the middle of purchasing a new saw and am curious on what the feeling are in quality of Jonsered vs. Stihl. I had narrowed down to a MS 280 but after reading some posts am leaning more toward the 260. My other option is the Jonsered 2152. Whichever saw I'm wanting an 18 inch bar. This is to do wildlife work (edge feathering), basically dropping trees and leaving to lay to create brush. Most will be 12 inch diameter or smaller but will encouter an occasional larger tree. I've run Stihl in the past but was concerned if quality was going downhill. Heard nothing but positive on the Jonsereds on another site and could save a few $$$$ going that way. Thanks.
18" bar is a bit much on all these, unless it is just for reach - the balance will not be good.........

The 2152 is by far the best saw, of those mentioned.....

Thanks for all the advice. I do like the looks of the Jonsered. You're probably right about the bar being overkill but am just wanting the extra reach. I may look at the 2156 instead. As far as me coming back here whining about the saw no being big enough, believe me I'm not a logger nor do I intend to be. Any of these saws would suffice. I will be walking alot and carrying the saw so weight is more of a factor than power.

Yes the 2156 runs well with a 18 or 20' bar.
I bought a used 361, now if I was to buy new it would have been the 2156.
both running stock the 2156 has a better power curve.

I'm gonna weigh in for the Jonsered as well. Same good quality as Stihl, but put against the 260, it has a little better anti-vibe and far better filtration.

Latest posts

Back