Need help Jonsered or Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again. Actually the place I was looking at doesn't carry the 2156 but carry the 2159. I think I'm going at get that one. I suppose its as good as the others plus has the magnesium crankcase and a little more power.

Thanks again. Actually the place I was looking at doesn't carry the 2156 but carry the 2159. I think I'm going at get that one. I suppose its as good as the others plus has the magnesium crankcase and a little more power.

That's a fine, fine saw, and you'll be plenty happy with it. They take about 10 - 15 tanks of gas to get good and broken in, so if it seems low on power when you first get it, don't worry...it'll get there!!

I believe you'll like the Jonsered 2052. It's the same basic saw as the Husky 353 although I'd prefer the Jonsered also. For long reach I think you'd be fine with an 18" or max of 20" .325 narrow kerf bar. I run a narrow kerf 20" on a Jonsered 590 and like it. I've run the 2149 which is the predecessor to the 2152 and it is a great running saw. I also have a Stihl MS 260 and prefer the Jonsered. No way that I'd chose a MS 260 over the 2152.

There you go! Good thinking. You're getting into the Stihl MS361 power/weight territory and at $100+ dollars less.

Not to mention that Jonsereds have a better Anti vibe system and air filtration. Then The stihls that you are looking at.

The anti-vibe of the 280 is probably about on par with the Jred, but not the ol' 260 one.

The 280 has more power than the others, but also quite a bit more weight. The lightest is the 260.

Personally, I see 18" bars as M361, 357xp, 2156 territory (also 341, 359 and 2159).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I do like the looks of the Jonsered. You're probably right about the bar being overkill but am just wanting the extra reach. I may look at the 2156 instead. As far as me coming back here whining about the saw no being big enough, believe me I'm not a logger nor do I intend to be. Any of these saws would suffice. I will be walking alot and carrying the saw so weight is more of a factor than power.

Stick around here for a while GSP and you'll find yourself buying a bigger saw to compliment the 2156 :cheers:
You didn't mention how close you are to the J Red dealer??
There's a Stihl (fine saws!) dealer @ every crossroads around here.
It's a 30 mile drive to the 1 and only J Red parts depot, if & when he's open.
BTW, I'd hate to have to limb all day with the 3120 but, love to own one anyway! :laugh:

There you go! Good thinking. You're getting into the Stihl MS361 power/weight territory and at $100+ dollars less.

Not really, the 361 has a much better power to weight ratio than the 2159.

The weights of the Husky/Jreds in this class is nowhere near what the specs say.....:mad:

...but if you are more conserned about weight than power, I think the 346xp should be included in the discussion. It is as light as the 260, and has much better anti-vibe and air filter system + more ergonomic ++......

Last edited:
Pick whatever feels good to you, and at a price which you can afford!!!

Concern yourself with dealer support also!!!

Screw the written specs.............see if you can run what you really like!!!

Specs are a starting point at best...........I would take what the members here have actually run and go from that also!!!

Hi 'troll!!!:laugh:

Personally, I see 18" bars as M361, 357xp, 2156 territory (also 341, 359 and 2159).

Oh, come on, you know that's a load of crap. All you really need is 42cc to run a 18" bar, and you can even put a 20" on it if you want:

MS1842AV_prod_lg.jpg

Or this, 46cc and a 20" bar. WOW!

getImage.php

Last edited:
The weights of the Husky/Jreds in this class is nowhere near what the specs say.....:mad:
To me a 2156 with an 18" b&c felt lighter then a MS361 with a 20" b&c. I don't know how much weight two inches in bar length adds but the 2156 definitely felt lighter to me. Balanced better too. ;)

The 2156 still felt lighter then the MS361. :)

SawTroll, for the love of God...PUT THE SPECS DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE BOOKS!!

Specs tell a small part of the tale...how a saw feels in your hand is SOOO much more than specs. Just because the Stihl powerhead weighs a nanospecodecofartagram less than the other doesn't mean a dizamm thing to the USER!! A saw doesn't just balance in one plane, it balances in infinite planes. The balance is effected, among other things, by the placement of the handlebar on the powerhead, the angle of same, the distance of the rear handle from the front, the placement of the bar in relation to the center of the powerhead, the location of the tanks, their respective capacities, the...I can go on, but I won't.

Please, we've all heard the specs...

SawTroll, for the love of God...PUT THE SPECS DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE BOOKS!!

Specs tell a small part of the tale...how a saw feels in your hand is SOOO much more than specs. Just because the Stihl powerhead weighs a nanospecodecofartagram less than the other doesn't mean a dizamm thing to the USER!! A saw doesn't just balance in one plane, it balances in infinite planes. The balance is effected, among other things, by the placement of the handlebar on the powerhead, the angle of same, the distance of the rear handle from the front, the placement of the bar in relation to the center of the powerhead, the location of the tanks, their respective capacities, the...I can go on, but I won't.

Good point wood_newbie!

Hey Troll, I think he mispelled "nanospecodecofartagram", would you look that one up?;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back