need help selecting skip chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnome

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a mac timber bear and 16" and 20" bars
i have a safety chain on the 20 (which i want to get rid of) and no chain on the 16"
does anybody have good recommendations for upgrading to skip chains on both?
brand preferences?
any other basics would be helpful.

thanks much

Excuse my ignorance but what cc is that?
16 and 20" bars are pretty short to need skip. Generaly skip is only an advantage on longer bars.

Excuse my ignorance but what cc is that?
16 and 20" bars are pretty short to need skip. Generaly skip is only an advantage on longer bars.

i think its 3.4cuin (55cc) but i could be wrong there
i really dont have an IPL with the right listings for the bear

i was reading around and am now thinking full comp chisel on the 16" and semi-skip chisel on the 20"

Semi-chisel is easier for a less experienced person to sharpen. Just get a 60DL loop of full comp (not skip) semi-chisel for the 16" bar, and a 70DL loop of the same stuff for the 20" bar. It'll run both of them just fine, so long as the saw is healthy. They're not speedsters, but those saws have enough torque to run a 20" bar no problem. No need for skip. Just make sure you get the right gauge of chain to match each bar.

As mentioned above by Eccentric you more than likely don't need skip.
By all means try non skip first and semi chisel is a good choice.
Skip is normally used for saws running bars longer than they are designed for and for bars (as a rule) over 32" where chip clearance can become an issue in some timbers.

While I use skip for 20" bars, its because I get spools of it, for my 28" bars. I don't think it optimum for the shorter bars, but seems to work fine. Now you are dealing with 16" and 20", like others, I would say to stay with the full comp program. I would get Semi-chisel though, as you will cut a lot more wood with it, before having to deal with things like dulling and/or crooked cutting.

Stihl chain typically costs more, but more than makes up for it with longer chain lifeand more wood cut per dollar and effort spent keeping it in good cutting form.

Sam

Semi-chisel is easier for a less experienced person to sharpen. Just get a 60DL loop of full comp (not skip) semi-chisel for the 16" bar, and a 70DL loop of the same stuff for the 20" bar. It'll run both of them just fine, so long as the saw is healthy. They're not speedsters, but those saws have enough torque to run a 20" bar no problem. No need for skip. Just make sure you get the right gauge of chain to match each bar.

thanks for the much needed help

so i will go with 16 and 20" semi-chisel full comp
what are good brands/models?
are the files different for semi-chisel?

thanks again

thanks for the much needed help

so i will go with 16 and 20" semi-chisel full comp
what are good brands/models?
are the files different for semi-chisel?

thanks again

Stihl recommend 13/64" files for their standard 3/8" chain whereas other manufacturers recommend 7/32". I've found 7/32" works fine on Stihl chain. The same files used on full chisel work on semi chisel.
Stihl RSC is the best full chisel in my opinion with Oregon LGX right up there too. In semi chisel I like Carlton and Windsor but there is no flies on Stihl RMC either except it is generally more expensive.

great so im going to go full comp, semi-chisel, probably with oregon chain
which of their line is semi-chisel? is it only the 72DP model for 60DL and 70DL loops?

thanks.

great so im going to go full comp, semi-chisel, probably with oregon chain
which of their line is semi-chisel? is it only the 72DP model for 60DL and 70DL loops?

thanks.

72DP is indeed .050G Oregon 3/8" semi-chisel chain. Baileys 'house' semi chain (rebadged Carlton) is 30SC (if you're talking .050G).

help with drive links

my saw is without chain and i have a 16" and 20" sprocket-tipped mac bars
can anyone please help me confirm how many drive links i will need for each of these bars

i thought it was 60DL and 70DL, respectively, but i found another manual which indicates different numbers.

i would just like to make sure i order the right semi-chisel chains.

thanks much.

What 'manual'? The answer hasn't changed in three months time...

my saw is without chain and i have a 16" and 20" sprocket-tipped mac bars
can anyone please help me confirm how many drive links i will need for each of these bars

i thought it was 60DL and 70DL, respectively, but i found another manual which indicates different numbers.

i would just like to make sure i order the right semi-chisel chains.

thanks much.

You "thought it was..."? Don't you mean, "You folks answered my question already, but I don't trust your answer because...":rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back