Need help with log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went with a friend to split wood with his log splitter on Saturday. It's a older model he got from his dad with a 8 horse B&S(white in color). Did not see a name on the splitter anywhere(not something homemade). The problem is when you start the wedge into the wood, as soon as it hits tough wood, the engine will want to stall? If you let up on the hand control lever, the engine won't stall and you can proceed further into the log. This happens 6-10 times before you can get through the log - very frustrating!

Why does the logsplitter make the engine stall? Im wondering if a bypass valve is bad? Any ideas?

Could be the govenor also. Clean up the linkage with some carb cleaner and make sure everything moves.

is it a two stage pump? If so, the large stage maynot be unloading. Could be in pump, or could be lack of engine hp.

If not two stage, either the RV in the control vavle is too high or the engine doesn't have the power to pull the pump per normal load.

Do you have a pressure gauge tap or reading when the engine stalls?

If not, I'd start with the engine power, make sure it is not restricted air or fuel filters, worn rings, plug, etc.

k

It sounds like a two stage pump that bogs down the engine before it drops to the lower stage. Most likely the engine needs a good tune-up and possibly a valve job to restore it to full power.

Does it have cold starting issues?

Splitter?

Im a novice at this, but is their a way by looking at the pump set-up to tell if the pump is one stage or two?

And yes, the engine was a bear to start cold. We had to use starting fluid(either), but restarted right up once engine was warm.

'then it doesn't matter if its single or double. That B&S needs a going over, which will get the HP back up to where it should be.

[ Im a novice at this, but is their a way by looking at the pump set-up to tell if the pump is one stage or two? ]

Yes , 95 % of the 2-stage pumps will look like this pic with 4 mounting holes, the next 4 % will look similar to the pic but only have 2 mounting holes, and the last 1 % will shaped like a house with a peaked roof.

just a check

had he same situation recently. ho wmany hoses are on the pump total, and is ther a large bolt that goes in close to the hoses.
if you have the large bolt, you may remove it slowly and remove sealer, and oring parts that may be hampering its movement.
remember this will be under spring pressure for most of the way out, so please dont aim it at your head as you are removing it.
just a thought, may not even apply to you, but it did work for me.
later
badcars2
:givebeer: :chainsaw:

Update!

The log splitter is a Mighty Mac made by Amerind Mackissic Inc., Parker Ford, PA with serial #LS247o2019. There is a straight shaft coming off the motor(7 horse B&S) that goes into the pump with two hoses coming out of the pump. The engine had a carb cleaning lately, but no compression test on engine. Would a compression test be a good idea?

a. any pump info or part numbers?
b. Any website info on this thing?
c. Does the enginer feel ike good compression when you turnit over?
d. Can you post a pump picture
e. Need a pressure gauge reading when it stalls the engine. If the relief valve in the spool valve is set too high the engine can't turn it. You can bandaid (temporarily only, to possibly keep working while you solve the problem) it by reducing the RV setting, but lose force at the cylinder.

the key info needed first is pump size and pressure gauge reading. That will tell the hp and whether it is over the engine rating, or whether the engine is weak.

k

A compression test wouldn't hurt, but I'd lean towards getting the valves redone, get the carb rebuilt, and what they call "decarbonizing." I mention the carb rebuild because of the cold starting and the other stuff for the power loss. If the rings are bad, then you should have quite a bit of smoking - haven't heard you say that.

Carb cleaning is good, but it won't address components that are just worn out.

Good info!

This thing is a little hard to pull start, thats leading me to believe compression is ok - but good to check if serviced. It is a bear to start cold like I said - needing starting fluid. It does not smoke at all.

Does it run fine if you let off the handle just a little bit? About 3/4 in the forward position. Sorry if I missed that.

This thing is a little hard to pull start, thats leading me to believe compression is ok - but good to check if serviced. It is a bear to start cold like I said - needing starting fluid. It does not smoke at all.

Mine was the same way - I just bought one that had been sitting with a half tank for ten years - it would stall under load and was hard to start.
The fuel pick-up in the tank was plugged.The air filter element was goo. Replacing the little fuel pump diaphram in the carb helped also.

Well...

Yes, "Plantbiologist" when splitting wood, if you let-up on the handle the engine won't stall, and you can try again to move the splitter wedge further into the wood.

Yes, "Plantbiologist" when splitting wood, if you let-up on the handle the engine won't stall, and you can try again to move the splitter wedge further into the wood.

Your valve might be bypassing in the fully open position. If the wedge will split at 3/4 handle extension, the problem is not the engine.

“Your valve might be bypassing in the fully open position. If the wedge will split at 3/4 handle extension, the problem is not the engine.”

-Not sure he did the test in 3/4 position, sounded like he meant when fully stroked it starts to bog, and when fully released back to center the engine recovers. This would be normal if the engine is not capable of turning the load. Basically the mass of the engine acts as a flywheel and adds some torque to the pump briefly, then the engine goes down.

-the 3/4 position operation still does not rule the engine out or in. All we know is that engine hp is less than pump demand load. The engine can be down, or the load up, we haven’t determined that.

-Probably not leaking valve. If the engine and RV are correct, the engine sees no difference in its load whether the oil is pushing a log, going across leaking valve, going across relief valve, or going across leaking cylinder seals. The engine only sees the torque required to turn the pump at fixed displacement against say 2500 psi. Where it goes beyond the pipe, engine doesn’t care. The key is what is the load pressure.

-An open center spool valve does not suddenly connect pump flow to cylinder. That is physically impossible, so there is a crossover position. If the spool overlapped (closed off the pump to tank connection BEFORE it opened the pump to cylinder connection) there would be a blocked spot in the crossover position, which would send oil across relief each time the spool shifted. There is usually a ‘load check’ which is a check valve on the inlet port from pump to each spool section. The spool is cut to open a path to the load first, before it starts closing off the connection from inlet (pump) to tank. If it just opened the load path from pump to cylinder, while still having the pump to tank path open, the cylinder load (say a farm loader) would push oil backwards through the valve out to tank and the load would drop. The pump inlet check stops that from happening, the oil can’t go backwards.

OK, so what, we don’t have a suspended load to push oil backwards. The load check is not just to prevent load drop, it is to allow moving the load at less than the relief valve setting. A control, efficiency and heat issue I won’t go into. Even if it does not have a load check, the same principle applies: the path to cylinder is opened before the path to tank is closed off.

Here is the key point: Since the oil does not suddenly all go to cylinder, the pressure builds up slowly with handle position, even when cylinder is stalled against a load. The cylinder is first connected to pump, the backcheck prevents the cylinder from going backwards, but the pump oil still has an easier path to tank. The pressure/flow to the cylinder is only the same pressure that it takes to push the rest of the oil across the still open path from pump to tank. Maybe that is 100 psi.

As the handle moves further through its stroke, it is closing off the path to tank, so it takes more pressure to push the oil through that path to tank. Maybe 500 or 1000 psi builds up. This pressure is also on the cylinder, even if cylinder is not moving. Moving spool further builds pressure even further, say to 1500 psi, then 2000, then 2500. Without a relief the pressure would get higher and higher trying to push the (10?) gpm across a tiny orifice. When the spool totally closed to tank, oil could go no where, and pressure would go infinite.
With a relief valve, the pressure only rises to RV setting, then some goes that direction and some still goes across the spool to tank.

Run it at ¼ stroke and read the pressure, then half stroke, then ¾ stroke. If you see the engine stalling at less than the maximum rated pressure that the engine hp could turn that pump, then the engine is weak. If it reaches rated pressure, but keeps going higher and stalls the engine, then the RV is too high.

Both scenarios mean you need to know the pump size, pressure, and engine hp. Then it is easy to calculate the hp load ( flow gpm x pressure psi / 1714 = theoretical hp) and know if it is too much load for rated engine, or too little tired engine for rated load. Then you know whether or not to do valves, rings, etc., to adjust the RV, or to have a smaller pump.

BTW, I assume this thing worked fine before, that the engine and pump were at one time sized and operated together properly. If this is a new machine design and startup, that’s another story.

I suggest again, get pump info, and operating pressures. I think the answer will be very clear then.

k

Latest posts

Back