Need help with my 200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyX3M

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'we been having problems with what I think is a carb not getting enough air or fuel
saw starts right up as normal but after a minute or so if I rev it up (especially with load on it) it just loses the power and dies in 2-3 seconds. When I choke it half way it seems to get some power back, but then again when I take the air filter off, theres a fuel residue all over it. We dont have too many repair shops over here -and some of them are totally worthless - I went to one Stihl place and asked for a fuel filter (that was my first tought - second one was a crack in fuel line, but there's no visible ones) so the mechanic told me that the Stihl saws dont have a fuel filters - big was hes surprise when I pulled one out of gas tank - and miracle - they even had them in stock; just that he never checked on one or known of their existence, so I backed out of that shop very carefully, making sure I had all the parts to the saw...
Anyway - I live in small apartment with no chance of rebuilding the saw over here - if somebody can point me a quick fix what I could do out in the yard I would really appreciate it!
Been looking Huskeys for a while too - their service is a whole lot better+ shorter delivery times on parts too - just dont want to give up on my Stihls
:cry:

Last edited:
Muffle

Muffler possibly "gunked-up"...open up muffler and remove little plate. Might be your problem.

Been looking Huskeys for a while too - their service is a whole lot better+ shorter delivery times on parts too - just dont want to give up on my Stihls

Realistically you have to get what you can - and ensure you have the very best service. Our dealer for Stihl is great.. better than our Husky. We can get any Stihl part by the following morning.

As for the 200T.. while they are the best climbing saw made.. we find they do have some carb issues and they do need the kit to rebuild carb from time to time. We actually had to replace a carb on one a couple of weeks ago. Now it runs like a new one ($100 later)..

Yea.....Worth a shot right??...Something you could do on a table w/ newspaper in your apartment. Save ya $$$.

compare to
Yea.....Worth a shot right??...Something you could do on a table w/ newspaper in your apartment. Save ya $$$.

I really think it is worth of saving - I used, abused and refused it - dont want to give up on that saw - it survived a 60' drop - landed on grass thankfully - and saved my ass coupla of times in hairy situations thanks to its power - so I AM a little bit in debt to that saw and would like to keep it going...

Looks to me all new Huskys is mostly plastic; I dont think they would take an 60' drop and keep on running (btw -my groundy didnt even check my Stihl - and it was up and running with the first pull)

Last edited:
Realistically you have to get what you can - and ensure you have the very best service. Our dealer for Stihl is great.. better than our Husky. We can get any Stihl part by the following morning.

As for the 200T.. while they are the best climbing saw made.. we find they do have some carb issues and they do need the kit to rebuild carb from time to time. We actually had to replace a carb on one a couple of weeks ago. Now it runs like a new one ($100 later)..

Let me guess: it started running lean, and couldn't make it through a cut?? that's what's going on with my good 200 right now. I gotta get a carb myself.

I dont know guys - just dont want to retire a good saw just cause its some carb issue- what do you all think- would it be cheaper (and yes I can do it on the field) to change a carb- or to buy a new saw? Just dont forget a 30 % tax in anything coming into EU from china

I dont know guys - just dont want to retire a good saw just cause its some carb issue- what do you all think- would it be cheaper (and yes I can do it on the field) to change a carb- or to buy a new saw? Just dont forget a 30 % tax in anything coming into EU from china

I think you clean the spark arrestor like mention previously, go from there. Chances are that is all it is.
Jeff :)

do you mean that " spark resistance" thing?

Spark arrestor screen, screw on side of muffler, undo then pull out the pea pod and scrub screen or just throw away pea pod altogether like most of us do?

I've found that when climbing through the canopy small live twigs can get between the air filter body and the body of the saw and threaten the fuel. Check that fuel line out carefully. I've damaged two fuel lines that way in the past few years and am more careful now.

Have had twigs and leaves get stuck under the air filter cover as well, and jammed under the filter a bit, allowing bits of dirt to get in carb even? Not good for saw but don't think it bothers running for just a bit at a time.

Posting on chainsaw forum might get results for you from many more views by much more qualified than many of us.

Had the same thing happen to my 361 a year or so back. It was the fuel line. A friend of mine had to drop the tank to find the damaged line and fix it.

Also had my carb lock up on my 260 recently. One of my guys had to take the carb apart and found that a pin was jammed shut. It was dumping too much fuel. He freed it and adjusted the high low and it's running good as new now.

I'we been having problems with what I think is a carb not getting enough air or fuel
saw starts right up as normal but after a minute or so if I rev it up (especially with load on it) it just loses the power and dies in 2-3 seconds. When I choke it half way it seems to get some power back, but then again when I take the air filter off, theres a fuel residue all over it. We dont have too many repair shops over here -and some of them are totally worthless - I went to one Stihl place and asked for a fuel filter (that was my first tought - second one was a crack in fuel line, but there's no visible ones) so the mechanic told me that the Stihl saws dont have a fuel filters - big was hes surprise when I pulled one out of gas tank - and miracle - they even had them in stock; just that he never checked on one or known of their existence, so I backed out of that shop very carefully, making sure I had all the parts to the saw...
Anyway - I live in small apartment with no chance of rebuilding the saw over here - if somebody can point me a quick fix what I could do out in the yard I would really appreciate it!
i have a question, i just bought a stihl 192. couldnt afford a 200, actually, the customer bought it for me. any way, ive been using stihls for 6 years, and ive seen this happen on old beat up saws, but this saw is brand freakin new, sooooo,... what the heck. after running the saw for a few mins, the idle is at full rev,...
?????? im going to take it back and exchange it for a new one, but i want to know whats going on. ive only been climbing for a couple years now and i never owned a stihl. so forgive me for my ignorance.-uptree

pin prick in fuel line. we had had this problem with both husky and stihl. replace fuel line

good chance capecod is right.

quite common.so is a ripped intake boot if you get it pinched a lot.

Could still be the carb depending on how old it is.there are quite a few updated carbs for the ms200.Tank vent open?

Latest posts

Back