Need help with repairing an 036 Pro - I am being told its toast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eichhoma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 036 Pro that has been a great saw for the last 15 years.... it has always run great until this weekend.
I was using it on Friday and it worked great all day... Saturday morning I go to start it and it wont start, wont fire, nothing... I bring it to an old friend that has done small engine repair for years and while he was looking at it, he turned it on its side and then it wouldn't turn over anymore? like its somehow locked up? He suggested I get a second opinion from someone that knows more than he on stihls, but said i might be better off to buy a new say as i would likely put more in this saw than its worth. Thoughts here on what I should do next? Has anyone heard of a failure like what he is saying? Thanks in advance, Mark

I have a Stihl 036 Pro that has been a great saw for the last 15 years.... it has always run great until this weekend.
Thoughts here on what I should do next?

Has anyone heard of a failure like what he is saying? Thanks in advance, Mark

Take off the part that has the pull rope and try and turn the flywheel thing and feel for looseness.

Since you put this in the milling section and state 15 years of use perhaps a new saw is in order anyway.

pull the muffler and have a look.

it is probably toast -- but it might be repaired. you might get away with just a fuel line and a piston-- but it may need a cylinder and seals. no way to tell with out a partial tear down.

apologies if this is in the wrong forum.... kinda new to this.... I will repost in the right place
it wont turn freely by hand unless you pusk the piston down then you get a partial turn and it locks up again...
seems like something is bent or broken...

You may get more help by going to the menu and scrolling down to the "chainsaw" forum. They never throw away anything, it's all fixable, Joe.
If the cost of personal repair is to high it always is a parts saw since everything rarely goes bad at same time. A little disassembly as suggested will tell the tale better and if you can post good pictures into the exhaust of the piston/rings or of the far side of cylinder= big help.
I'm not far, 80 some odd miles from St Loooie & I'll be up a time or two this coming month if ya wanna meet & show it to me let me know threw PM Via "inbox"

Latest posts

Back