Need help with sick MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmfunder

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the saw dying when I release the throttle. It idles well, revs up quickly and has plenty of power, but when I finish a cut and let off the throttle it dies. The saw will start right back up but I have to choke it for 1 pull. It seems to me like it is starving for fuel. I have adjusted the carburetor and the idle settings to the manual's standard settings. I always keep the air filter clean and run only stihl oil at 50:1. I have replaced the filter in the tank also.
At some time the muffler got damaged and is tweaked a bit, it might be opened up a little from the damage, could this be the problem?

Sounds like you have dirt in the carb or something obstructing the fuel passage in it. How bad is the damage to the muffler? Are there any holes in it? If so, you need to adjust the H side of the carb. Richen it up a bit.

Fuel pick up hose, impulse hose and carb rebuild should see you right. I had the same issue on my 039

Latest posts

Back