Need help with Stihl 056 ignition fix using Nova II module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You asked; So, tell me why this saw had really good spark, timing looked to be several degrees before TDC (don't have a degree wheel) great compression and fuel mix squirted into the carburetor and it still doesn't run but pops a bit then dies. I've done this kinda work for a long time also and this saw doesn't sound like a good saw would under the same circumstances.

I do not know the answer to your question;

When I encounter such I remain calm and sometimes have to let it rest for few days and then go back later with a clear mind and start over.(if it's equipment that some Bubba has severely fouled up and modded, installed the incorrect parts and made some Bubba type bend adjustments, in the wrong direction, those can be the tough ones.

I had tons of trouble with my Nova II fix the first attempt with two different chips. Then I gave up for a long time. I then decided to build another saw and didn't want to buy another ignition so I gave it yet another try. It started and ran good so I milled a log and it ran great with no problems. Maybe if I try it again it will be all messed up. I think next time I will use a Stihl module. I have read in other threads that people have had good luck with them. They are expensive but there are people selling used ones on ebay for an almost reasonable price. The only problem with my Nova II fix was the chain would spin at idle, even at 2,300 rpm. I tuned it down to 1,800 to 2,000 and it idles nicely and runs great. I also advanced the flywheel a half key width. I put the Nova module in the carburetor housing to prevent overheating. I think more problems occur when they are attached to the stator plate.

Latest posts

Back