Need help with tree selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamont

Reaction score
I live in Walnut Creek, CA, Sunset Zone 14.
I need a 15-20 foot tall tree to go in front of our house and bedroom window. I would like something that has some visual interest but isn't too messy since it will be near the driveway and front walk.
I've done a fair amount of research as to what trees would be appropriate but I'm loking to get a feel for people's personal favorites in this area.

Any help appreciated.

-shelley

My suggestion is a heat tolerant Japanese Maple cultivar. Take a little trip to San Francisco. Go to Golden Gate Park and visit the Strybing Arboretum. Look around and see if someone there might give you some suggestions. While you're there check out the Gunnera...what a cool plant.

Gunnera_manicata_ki.JPG

Take a walk around your neighborhood. When you see something you like that seems to be thriving knock on the door, tell them you are a neighbor down the street, not a Jehovah Witness, but just want to ask them what kind of tree it is and where did they get it and how do they like it. Most folks like to talk about their plants and gardens. You will know by looking at the property whether they are into this.

This does three things. First, it gets you out of the house and gives you some exercise. Second, it allows you to see what grows well in your type of soil and climate. Thirdly, it allows you to meet your neighbors, some of whom might end up being dear friends.

Learning from others is the easy, maybe lazy, way.

Latest posts

Back