Need Ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've misunderstood me (I will clarify) and not answered my other questions (as is your prerogative).

To clarify the misunderstanding, I was asking about the differentiation between the wood going to "more well off people" and "normal customers, and DHS co[sic]stomers".

I got you now.

The difference is the wood that goes to the other customers is what we would call not perfect. When running log lengths through the processor, you always end up with either a short piece "say 12inches" or a long piece "say 17 or 18". Also no matter how hard you look at the logs that come in on a truck, there are always going to be those logs that are hollow/rotten inside "black nasty crap". Then you get the knotted, crooked, scraggly logs in the load as well. And on occasion there is a soft maple, that snuck by. These logs are caught when loading the processor, and set off to the side instead of mixing it in with the good stuff. When a good amount of it gets piled up, we will run this stuff separate from the "good" wood.

I can tell you that if you drop off a load of punky wood that is kind of falling apart to a couple of the doctors we deliver to around here, they will ask you to pick it up and trow it back into the truck.

Like you said: Stick with what you are good at! Don't get crazy and stick to what has made you money in the past. More businesses than not go out of business because they try to grow too fast. And just because the demand is there, doesn't mean you have to meet it. I don't think we ever will.....

Well said!

Thanks

Our goal this year is 300-330 full cords. (I only say this because I am on a job outside NYC and was talking with a guy from central NY who told me he was burning 30 cords a year for his 2000 sq ft farm house. Turns out, they refer to facecords as cords in his town. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor!) I think more realistically we will be closer to 250 full cords. I have a difficult time getting more than 2 log truck loads per week. Most everything comes from landclearing and PennDOT maintenance contracts where they are dealing with brush and stumps versus a logger who is looking for mill wood, poles, and tops and leaves the mess behind, generally. I am in a "sweet spot" between the Pittsburgh suburbs and rural PA, for sales anyways. (I say that because I find that people more rural aren't as willing to pay top dollar for premium wood simply because they can do it themselves for cheaper and have the resources) However, loggers to the north don't generally want to haul this far south. (35-60 miles).

Another point I have pondered (not quite worried about, yet, anyways) is the room 400-600 cords would take up, let alone 1000. We are currently working about 2 acres of my parents farm, mostly frontage to a 2-lane highway. We have about 100 right now and that is a serious pile. We have the room to expand, across and creek and behind a good sized garage, but that takes time and money. We are utilizing the most flat part as of now, not that piling split wood on a slope would matter all that much.

I have a few bags as well and they are hard to deal with not being rigid. Like I said, there is no miracle cure. The best option is a pole building which is the most expensive, outside building a kiln, which does nothing to keep the weather off of it once it is dried.

On a side note, there is a guy about an hour and 15 mins from my house I found on craigslist that sells the totes. He says he has 50 left and wants $20 a piece for them, well worth the investment, I think. I think too, most times people would take a little less money if you bought the remaining ones. I may try and make a deal on all of them. Remember too, dismantling them is quite a bit of work and makes a ton of garbage (plastic tote bladder).

A question for mijdirtyjeep/Jim: When you are splitting 25 cords at a time, how are you moving it away from the conveyor? I have a tracked skidsteer that can push it away for the first few cords but after that I have to take diagonal swipes at it. It's kind of rough on the machine, especially the tracks when woods falls into and beneath the tracks as well.....

Question #2: Do you have a self-serve/ farmers stand "like" setup at your wood yard? I did not for sometime but in the past 4 or 5 years, we have made racks along the road and into our driveway with $10-$20-$50-$100-$140 racks that have worked phenomenally. Imagine going away for the weekend skiing or camping and coming back to more money than you spent that weekend. It's a great feeling.....I have only been shorted 2 or 3 times by no more than $20. Also, I have been overpaid more times than that so it has more than balanced out.

Remember too: If you are always selling out, perhaps you aren't charging enough. You may profit a lot more by increasing your prices. Simple supply--demand stuff. I have had the same battle with myself over raising prices. We always sell out. But the human, passionate person most of us are don't want to charge more especially the customers that we have had for years and now over a decade for us.....
20130312_145642_resized.jpg this is what i sell along the road all season long.mostly oak but sometimes a mix. cut 16"and stacked in the bins. 1/4 cord+/-. customer hauls. $60.bin. i'm not in the volume of you other guys but it keeps me over busy all winter long. i try and keep a 1/3 cd and 1/2 cd stack available too.

Not a bad idea, putting some out by the road like that makes it very convenient for someone that is on their way home from work.

Heck my personal wood and the business are 25miles north of me. I stack my short bed full every other weekend when I am up there, but sometimes I need to make a special trip up there as I run out early "or just plain forget to load the truck when I was just up there". If you were close by my house, I would pay the $60 just for the time/convenience factor even though I have more than enough already myself.

Nice job, keep up the hard work!!!

Sounds like a beast! Post some pics of it if you have them, or a link to see them!
As hard as I looked, I dont have a pic of it working. I guess when I'm working, I dont have a camera. One pic shows the wedge and the other the cable boom to load splits with. I will have to get a load of wood before i can show it actually splitting.

Attachments

• 0920131710 (1).jpg
    0920131710 (1).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 0601130840.jpg
    0601130840.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 39
Jim- The term I heard from a customer is "girlfriend fires". Ambiance, status symbol, whatever it is....About the dump trailer- We have a 14k, 16' model and it works well but does have some drawbacks. It can hold 2.5 cords loaded heaping. It could definitely be segregated. We haul it with 2 different 1-ton duramaxs and that is all it can handle. And that is mixed hardwoods. No pine, poplar, soft maple though and it is heavvvvy! The trailer is 5k# alone. Your customers have to have good ground for you to dump the wood. The trailer will make big time tracks if it's the least bit soft. And with a crew cab/long bed plus a 16' trailer that is 20' or so, you can get yourself into a pickle real quick....Also, we have a standard model which sits higher than the low profile models and it still touches the ground at full tilt and wood still gets hung up.

Kiwibro- there are several points of the crates. For the little time it takes to stack in them, it dries the wood much faster. More importantly, the wood is measured (this is huge for first time customers and ones who don't have your trust yet) That may be the biggest point. So many people are weary about buying firewood because of the obvious losers trying to make a quick buck not a lifelong customer. Third, several people will take the crate full of wood and bring the crate back. It makes the loading time (time in which one of us will help out) much, much less. Believe it or not, we have stacked in a maseratti, facecords in minivans, almost a full cord in a delivery van, several BMW's/Mercedes, backseats, trunks and so on....just craziness.

The setup at my parents farm circa 2011. Its almost the same now. More metal crates in the background. Added another driveway as well to get out more easily instead of turning around
driveway.jpg

Here is the dump trailer loaded: The black duramax is a 1 ton and the red truck was a 3/4 ton which has been replaced by a 2015 dually 1-ton duramax.
dmax dump wood.jpg
nevan red.jpg

Kiwibro- there are several points of the crates. For the little time it takes to stack in them, it dries the wood much faster.
Faster than what though, and is there any bankable benefit to it drying faster than fast enough? Huge piles is questionable, but windrows (space permitting) along the lines already mooted, or thrown into crates/bags/anything stackable and dumpable without stacking will dry fine in this context. the only real issue I see in this approach is the extra moving of the processor or tractor movements in the yard dumping the processor output into wind rows and then picking wood up again for loading out for deliveries.
More importantly, the wood is measured (this is huge for first time customers and ones who don't have your trust yet) That may be the biggest point. So many people are weary about buying firewood because of the obvious losers trying to make a quick buck not a lifelong customer.
  1. If legal to do so (I think it may vary by state up there - down here legal measures differ) it is still advertised as a cord or whatever fractional equivalent. In fact, you will read where I said it will still work out cheaper overall to up the thrown quantity to always be over a stacked equivalent.
  2. Could even become a marketing angle - guarantee it will be over. Customers can 'take the [insert business name here] challenge.
  3. I was under the impression this wood is being dumped into and from the delivery trailers. So as soon as it goes into the trailer it's 'thrown' unless customer is paying more for it to be stacked at the other end, at which point they can easily see it is more than what they paid for. So, how much of the "new customers" are walk-up and likely to not accept the volume assurances, compared to the phone orders or the trusting walk-ups?
  4. One of the original hindrances in the process was hand stacking crates and the extra labour/staff complications and costs. This will only become more of an issue as targeted volumes increases around 3-fold.
  5. Even if anticipating a significant amount of walk-in new customers who will want to see their chosen stacked volume crate/bag/whatever dumped or placed into their car, there could be two price structures - one for the thrown stacked-equivalent that is guaranteed to be at least that stacked amount, and a higher price for the stacked crates/bags/whatever, reflecting the cost of hand-stacking them. Let the new customer decide. It would not take much for any genuine, sincere person to convince most new customers the thrown option is their best bet, but have a few stacked crates/bags/whatever available if need be, and charge a bond for the bags/crates/etc, refundable upon return.
Third, several people will take the crate full of wood and bring the crate back. It makes the loading time (time in which one of us will help out) much, much less. Believe it or not, we have stacked in a maseratti, facecords in minivans, almost a full cord in a delivery van, several BMW's/Mercedes, backseats, trunks and so on....just craziness.
See point 5 above.

As hard as I looked, I dont have a pic of it working. I guess when I'm working, I dont have a camera. One pic shows the wedge and the other the cable boom to load splits with. I will have to get a load of wood before i can show it actually splitting.

Thank you for sharing the pics!

That is a nice looking splitter, I can see that lasting a long time. From the pics the weld quality is very impressive! Also love the log lift you made for it. My personal splitter does not have a lift and getting larger rounds up on it is a pain. I usually end up noodling them down.

Again impressive!

Jim- trailer will make big time tracks if it's the least bit soft. And with a crew cab/long bed plus a 16' trailer that is 20' or so, you can get yourself into a pickle real quick....Also, we have a standard model which sits higher than the low profile models and it still touches the ground at full tilt and wood still gets hung up

I hear you on the tracks, I used the small trailer to haul 4yards of topsoil for my back yard. It started to rain, and I had to cross over the side yard to get to the back. Hard to put my truck in 4wd low, which left 4" deep ruts all the way across the yard. Let's just say the miss's was not to pleased. :)

Our large trailer is almost identical to yours. About the only difference is it has on more 2x12 on top. It also has a roll up cover on the front. The motor carrier will nail you with a $150 fine for not tarping the load "ask me how I know that one". lol

I use a 10x12 dump trailer to haul my wood. My splitter, wedge end, will just fit overtop of the bed. When splitting wood, i back the trailer up to the wedge and use the trailer as a log table/split catcher. I just let the splitter push the split onto the trailer, haul them to the shed and then stack. Saves a little handeling of the wood. The 6x10 will hold a 1/2 cord if stacked , less if I just let it self load.

I am building 50ton processor 12 way wedge,with knuckle boom loader. Been working gathering parts for about 4 years now and just now starting the build.

0925131544a.jpg 0310131321a.jpg Yea, I know, pics or it didnt happen. Right now its just a big pile of parts scattered in and around my shop. I have posted a few pics of parts here and there. 0221150914.jpg wood splitter cylinder.jpg Have use your imagination to make something out of this mess

View attachment 412155 View attachment 412156 Yea, I know, pics or it didnt happen. Right now its just a big pile of parts scattered in and around my shop. I have posted a few pics of parts here and there. View attachment 412153 View attachment 412154 Have use your imagination to make something out of this mess
Have you estimated the cost to build it and how many hours you'll put into it? I look at some of the $40k+ machines here (and they are just dealing with rounds, not even bucking) and for the life of me I can't see how it could cost anything like that. Certainly not saying it is easy and doesn't suck up the hours/weeks/months to build but sure seems like a heap of dough nonetheless.

*edit to add* I don't think you have ordered in enough rams. Might pay to put a few more pallets on order.:cool:

It easier to put a price on something if your buying everything new. Of course if I had the money to buy all new parts, I could probably buy one cheaper than I can build it. I had this ideal a few years back to just upgrade my splitter to one of those with a winch to pull up the logs and a chainsaw to buck with. Should of stayed with that ideal and it would of been built already. I started finding some cheap parts that made building a more productive processor seem within reach so my ideals changed. Money spend right now has been for some of the expensive parts but bought at a bargain. The cylinders in the pics I actually gained $300 for taking them off a fellows hand. Not that simple, I bought 8 and sold 6 and cleared $300 and got to keep 2 cylinders. The conveyors, one 14ft and one 18ft, I paid $100 each for. The hydraulic chainsaw, I found a hyd motor (free) that would work so I paid a couple hundred for the bar, chain and sprocket and made the mount. I got a 10 spool control valve for the knuckle boom loader for free by digging it out of a scrap bin. Brand new obsolete valve. I got a 70gpm control valve for the splitter out of the same scrap bin, again new valve. Metal for building the 12way blade is used plow blades I cut out with my homemade track torch, all I got in it is gas and time. I bought a a620 backhoe attachment for $300 thinking I would convert it to a knuckle boom, sold it for $800. I have about $700 in parts and machine work building the knuckle boom and almost have enought steel to put it together. still have to buy a rotator and build a grapple. Its hard to put a pricetag on what parts I have left to buy, but At least $3 grand more will put me close to a finished machine. I have probably spent close to $2000 already so I'll be close to $5000+/- when its done. Show me a 50ton processor with its own knuckle boom loader anywhere for that kind of money. My big challege right now is I will have to buy a new 3 section hydraulic pump and I have to find a engine (190hp)to pull everything with. If I dont get it done this year, I'll work on it again next year. Like Johnny Cash said, One piece at a time and it didnt cost me a dime, but you will know its me when I fire that baby up.

More parts laying everywhere

Attachments

• 0315151741.jpg
    0315151741.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 0315151741a.jpg
    0315151741a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 0315151742.jpg
    0315151742.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 0315151742a.jpg
    0315151742a.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 0315151743.jpg
    0315151743.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 0315151743a.jpg
    0315151743a.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 0315151739.jpg
    0315151739.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 0315151744.jpg
    0315151744.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 23
There is no market for green wood here, we tried that and did not sell very much. Around here, they do not seem to think ahead and wait for the first snow to fly before ordering wood. I have a CDL class A license and did look into a large dump truck "actually had one back at the beginning". It held 4cords, and never got used, as almost all our orders are for 1-2cords at a time. It required tons of upkeep and keeping them DOT inspections up on it was a pain "our Motor Carriers love to pick on these trucks". I am actually on a first name basis with the main Motor Carrier. I work with him at my main job, and get pulled over by him on the firewood job! He even admitted that he would not even hesitate to pull his mom over, very dedicated to his profession.

![/QUOTE]
I and a bunch of my trucker friends,,have another name for dot trash............

Back