Need information on a Stump grinder...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose71

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been "Lurking" on this site and finally decided to create an account. This is my first post.

I recently bought 28 acres that had a heavy thinning of good size pine trees over a year ago. I'd like to buid a house on it and have done alot of cleaning on the place (piling and burning). Now I need to get rid of a BUNCH of stumps and eventually many trees.

I came across a very old Levco stump grinder that attaches to a tractors 3 pt hitch and is PTO driven. I have a 40 plus HP Kubota 4x4, I'm assuming it will be big enough for the Levco. The Levco needs all new teeth. I found some online for around $10 each. I have no idea how many the drum had on it.

What is a decent price for this Stump Grinder, assuming that it only needs new teeth?

Thanks.

Levco was made in Wynn, AR. They have been out of business for several years, mostly see the tractor mounted models but they also made towable and handlebar units. Most of the tractor units i've seen require 70-100 hp. As far as price, just get it cheap

I've seen the old Levcos cut. They cut straight down on the stump - with the grain. With good teeth - they cut fast - with dull teeth - they bounce.

What PTO horsepower does your tractor have? Stumpcutters in general are very tough on the PTO driveline!!!!

My tractor is 36 HP at the PTO. This particular Grinder doesn't have hydrolics on it. I've heard that the ones that do have hydrolics need the larger HP tractors.

They are asking $1000 for it and said that new teeth would be around $400, which brings me to another concern. How hard is it to replace the teeth? It would be a good job just getting the caked in dirt out of the holes where the bolts are.

$1,000 - you can't go too wrong. Those bolts will probably be a #####!

Contact the people at Leonardi. They sell teeth for the Levco machines, and should be able to answer most of your questions.
Jeff

Called them and the lady didn't have any info on levco. I might offer $500 for it since it needs all new teeth. I also might have to buy a cheap used 80 plus HP tractor to run it with.

Well I bought the Grinder, but haven't hooked it up to my tractor yet. I managed to get all of the old teeth off and have new ones ordered. I also have to find the outer part of the PTO shaft that will fit.

Hopefully I will end up with less than $1500 in it and it will hold up well against alot of pine stumps.

Back