Need Log I.D. Assistance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s37d

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need some help with wood identification guys. I cut up some fallen trees in southern New Hampshire, one of which was a pine and the other Elm maybe, I'm not sure. Here are some pics of it:<br>
(The log is 15.5" long and weighs 4 lbs.)
log1.jpg
<br>
log2.jpg
<br>
log3.jpg
<br>
log4.jpg
<br>
log5.jpg

Last edited:
Funny you say that outdoor, because it smells great.

The tree was about 50-75ft tall.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input. How is cherry for burning? I know it's not the densest of hardwoods but it must smell nice.

Oh yeah the hardwood floors, lol. They're pretty old.

I have some pics of the logs before I split them but won't be able to upload for a few days. I will say that they split very easily, even more so than the pine. Then again, it is green wood.

black cherry (prunus serotina) good money for logs, ok for pallet wood when its rough, good firewood if you buy it processed. its so kinky that if you buy it tree length youre getting screwed, doesnt stack very clean.

a couple peices in the load wont hurt you any, but an 8 cord load of tree length cherry would only add up to about 6.

Yep cherry...personally i LOVE burning cherry. It burns easily with a nice aroma. Doesnt burn as long as say oak, but i love it. Its about all i burned last year...and I got a monster blow down that will supply me for some of 2011 winter.

And yeah, i also use it for fuel for the smoker. That same blow down will give me smoker wood for life out of the 2" branches and scraps...

Yup. Wild cherry. split it up in little chuncks and store it for smoking meats! or burn it in your wood stove!

looks like cherry to me...but I could be wrong.

If it is...save some and dry it out...then soak it in water and add it to the grill when cooking chicken...mmmm

I burn it when I can...worth cutting and splitting for sure.

Latest posts

Back