Need more power for Osage Orange!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thought for Bowtie. I should have, and could have worked with you a bit more, just wasn't thinking!!

On the bore cuts, practice with downed wood. Start with the smalll saws, you're 026 if you want, with wood on the ground. That will give you the feel of what the saw will do and why, before you are in any real danger trying to drop a tree.
Start with the bottom of the bar, as soon as it's a quarter or so in, pivot around and start the plunge. You have to just "feel it". The saw will tell you when it's ready.
Like I say, start small, it comes pretty quick!

Last edited:
I'm on the south edge of Kansas City, which is about 3 hours from you and about the same from Bowtie. My land is only about 2 hours from you, just off I-35.

Hey, Bowtie! Cut out the 3' chunk that BobL highlited and tell me what it weighs... Thanks for the suggestion, BobL... I was thinking the same thing... might get enough to make a chair from it... sure is pretty wood!!... I counted 69 rings and figure at least 10 more in the ruined heartwood... so was a sapling sometime in the 1920's...

Thanks, bowtie, for taking pix. I'm serious about wanting to get some of that wood... even 3' lengths can make nice cabinetry... or chairs... or knife handles... If you can block out a rectangular chunk of it, I'll pay ya for it and to ship it here...

Can you find some more??

Really, we both evaluated before the drop and after. That picture makes it look better than it is. It was a wicked old hedge tree. We were all about saving any prudent pieces, they just werent there.

Plus like Sawinredneck posted, they are all in 20" pieces doomed to a fireplace.

Thanks, bowtie, for taking pix. I'm serious about wanting to get some of that wood... even 3' lengths can make nice cabinetry... or chairs... or knife handles... If you can block out a rectangular chunk of it, I'll pay ya for it and to ship it here...

Can you find some more??

Sure, its all over the place here, but finding something worth milling or woodworking is difficult. Osage Orange will change a hell of a lot from one linear foot to the next up the trunk or limb. If I find a chunk worth saving I will do it, but do you realize how expensive shipping will be for wood that heavy?

tree

You missed where this tree had a 17 degree lean to it. It was clasic barberchair!!
I made small face, due to the lean, and bore cut it. Being Hedge, and it's stronger than you expect it to be, I still had to "chase it off the stump" to get it to drop.

Give me a call next time you are in the neighborhood, you can show me how it's done!!

As for milling, it was a twist all through out. The peice you had circled was good for maybe three feet, then it twisted the other way. Gnarly wood!!

Hey...you got it down safely without hurting anyone....it went where you wanted it to....sooo...you did ok... I was just saying that...if you had taken the heart out and had a little thinner of hinge on the side....it wouldn't have ripped up so much.... BTW...I was just messin with you anyway....LOL:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Sure, its all over the place here, but finding something worth milling or woodworking is difficult. Osage Orange will change a hell of a lot from one linear foot to the next up the trunk or limb. If I find a chunk worth saving I will do it, but do you realize how expensive shipping will be for wood that heavy?

Not so much, if you can find any good 4-foot lengths of it.

As I mentioned in another of the Osage Orange threads we have going on now... My nephew over in Glenpool OK told me he thinks he can find some straight 5-6-foor OO about 6-8' in diameter... He said he'll try to bring me some when he comes over here at Christmas...

I would really like to get some 12"-wide boards... or raw material to mill them.
A 14"x6"x4' chunk... or two... or three... might be within range of my payin' UPS to ship... or USPS Parcel (one shipment they can't batter much).

If you (or Sawinredneck... or anyone!!) can find some pieces like that, please let me know.

Boisdeark = bowed arc is what we call it will petrify
and dull a chain in a new york minute! It is some serious
bow wood though!:cheers:

Osage also makes great sounding duck calls.....Here's one I turned out of osage (never mind the fuzzy pic :help:)....Don't know anything about cutting it with a saw but osage turns very nicely on the lathe.

osagecall.jpg

Latest posts

Back