Need opinion from wood sellers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjett84724

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have some oak I have been cutting in southern Utah. A fire came through a couple of years ago and left this wood standing. It has some black on the wood but not much. I burned this stuff myself this winter and it burned just fine. There isn't anyone else in the area that sells oak. I want to sell the oak for a premium price as it is difficult to find in southern Utah. Most guys that sell firewood, sell pinyon and juniper. I plan on selling that as well. Here are some pics of the last bunch that I cut. I want to know if your customers would be happy with this. How would you advertise? Let me know what you think.

oakpic2.jpg

oakpics.jpg

Thanks
Jesse

Last edited:
As long as the wood itself is solid and without rot I'd sell it.

Any wood that has spent any amount of time seasoning has lost most if not all of it's bark anyways. Most of my locust looks worse than that and it hasn't gotten a complaint yet.

I wouldn't have no trouble with it myself, But some people around here are kind of picky. Have heard them complain if the bark was gone or the wood appeared to be real old. Since it looks like the bark is gone and burned spots it probably would not bring top dollar here. Now i may be completey wrong (would not be the first time). If oak is hard to get in your area you may have a gold mine there. It's plentiful here. I'm sure it will sell especially when it gets real cold. Also it needs to be solid and not half rotten.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have some oak I have been cutting in southern Utah. A fire came through a couple of years ago and left this wood standing. It has some black on the wood but not much. I burned this stuff myself this winter and it burned just fine. There isn't anyone else in the area that sells oak. I want to sell the oak for a premium price as it is difficult to find in southern Utah. Most guys that sell firewood, sell pinyon and juniper. I plan on selling that as well. Here are some pics of the last bunch that I cut. I want to know if your customers would be happy with this. How would you advertise? Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Jesse

Advertise it as kiln dried....LOL:clap: Just curious about $$, as I live in Arizona and head to salt lake a few times a year, you can P.M. if you want.

Doug

The guys who sell the pinion and juniper get between $180-$200 cord around here. I was going to sell it for $225-$250 a cord. Depending on how cold it is.:givebeer:
The area where I cut is off the beaten path. Not many people know its there. I estimate 200 cords of oak. Might make a little money, might not. If not, I will burn it myself. :chainsaw:

Just my $0.02 cents worth....

Just tell them flat out that it's Oak from a burn through.

Tell them the price, what time you will be there and how long it will be before your sold out of the stuff.

Your offering a good product for a fair price! :cheers:

awsome find

cant beat preseasoned wood, and without the messy bark, if i was buying wood in your area i would not hesitate buying from you. i would even offer to assist you in your money market. just be upfront with customer as mentioned in prior posting.

glad to see its not just going to rot away.

The area where I cut is off the beaten path. Not many people know its there. I estimate 200 cords of oak. Might make a little money, might not. If not, I will burn it myself. :chainsaw:
Correct me if I'm wrong but from the sounds of it this wood is on public land (BLM, Forest Service or state).
Maybe you already know this but:
If it is on public land you'll need a commercial firewood permit to harvest the wood and sell it. I'd recommend talking with the land management agency that oversees that area. If for your own personal use you should be able to just get a personal use permit for not much money (you won't be able to get personal use permits for 200 cords though). You can not sell the wood if collected using a personal use permit.

Of course it BLM/Forest service ground. I would not have it any other way. :chainsaw: I have done some commercial tree thinning for the BLM in the past. They are pretty good to work with, as long as you can find someone with some common sense. (The people that have been around for a few years aren't too hard to deal with) They ususally don't want the wood to go to waste either. Some of the younger ones I have dealt with are a little different. They want to do contracts that are beneficial to them and not beneficial to me. :buttkick: I want contracts that work both ways. Sometimes they forget who they work for. I usually ask them what they are willing to pay for a tree thinning project and then add 25%. Keeps me in the sidejobs. Good stuff for sure.

I am going to cut another load in the morning. I will post some pics of the area and you guys tell me how much wood is there. Thanks for your replies. Jesse

Hopefully, I can sell some of it. I don't want to cut it all. That wouldn't leave any time left over for the good things in life. Wife, Kids and beer come to mind. Thanks for all of your replies

Jesse

around here the forest circus is impossible to get firewood off of.

i would bet BLM is a lot better. the director is our former governor, and understands what stewardship of land is.

i live only 50 miles away and the majority of the wood i sell is from burns and most of my customers wouldnt buy anything else. the biggest selling point on the burned wood is it doesnt soot up your chimney nearly as bad as seasoned wood does at least not the pinion pine and pinion juniper i sell. the only thing you need to watch out for is on blm land a burn has to be over 3 growing seasons recovered before you can touch it

Latest posts

Back