Need some convincing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have a 261 and 500i and love them both. The 500i really rips for firewood and I admit (others won't) that it's a little heavy even with a 20" light bar.

Considering adding a 400 to the arsenal and need some convincing.

And go :D Please :D

If you really want an in-between saw, the MS400 would seem to be an easy choice over the MS362 unless there is a big price difference.

500i is "a little heavy" compared to what - another saw of equal power? Or just your use? If just your use, there is nothing wrong with a two saw plan - sell the 500i while they are hot and buy a 400.

Ron

If you really want an in-between saw, the MS400 would seem to be an easy choice over the MS362 unless there is a big price difference.

500i is "a little heavy" compared to what - another saw of equal power? Or just your use? If just your use, there is nothing wrong with a two saw plan - sell the 500i while they are hot and buy a 400.

Ron
Just my use I think. I’m a firewood guy (not pro) - 5 full cord a year.

I think you should focus some on the bar.

Power: IMHO if a 20" bar fits your need, a 400 should provide all of the power you need unless you are cutting some really hard wood.

Weight: Using Stihl's specs, a 400 will be 1.1# lighter than a 500i with the same bar. In the real world, my 500i with full fuel and oil with a 25" lite bar weighs slightly less than 1# more than my 036Pro with full fuel and oil with a 20" regular bar. 1# for 5" more bar, 10 inches more chain, and 5 oz. more fuel just goes to show that a lite bar makes a big difference. Per Stihl, the 036Pro weighs .2# less than a 400.

Ron

Latest posts

Back