Need some help on a piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeha

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Working on a Solo 660VA i just got and was suppose to have great compression.
Ya right. Look at this piston. I was able to clean the piston and it looks great so
now i need to find a piston to fit this thing. Finding and aftermarket or original
will be useless. So i'm asking you guys that may have some left over pistons to
measure for me so i can try to find a piston to make fit this saw. Here's what i have.

Bore 52mm
top of pin hole to edge of crown 17.40mm
bottom of skirt to edge of crown 43.20mm
wristpin 12mm

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks Lee

Also, This is a piston ported saw so i don't think using a piston with windows
will hurt me. The piston is also a domed piston not a flat top.

Thanks Lee

Lee, if you don't think a widowed piston will hurt you, look at a Stihl 064 piston.

The meteor catalog list it as a 52mm bore, compression height 23mm, OAL 43mm with a 12mm pin.

Going by your measurement of 17.4 mm from the top of the pin and adding 6mm (half of the pin dia) would give you a 23.4mm compression height. So if I'm thinking right, the 064 piston is pretty dang close but of course its a windowed flat top piston.

That would be very close Mark but i think the flat top would hurt me.
Mine is domed and using a flat top i would loose quite a bit of comp.

Lee

I just went over to the shop and measured a 90/910E piston hoping for a close match but no cigar......54 mm...fairly high domed....12mm wristpin...distance from the top of the wristpin to the edge of crown 15.56mm...bottom of skirt to edge of crown 39.48mm......sorry Lee....

That would be very close Mark but i think the flat top would hurt me.
Mine is domed and using a flat top i would loose quite a bit of comp.

Lee
If it fits and your only issue is the lost compression just have a pop up welded on. That is a pretty easy job that most fab shops/machine shops with a TIG could accomplish for just a few bucks.

If it fits and your only issue is the lost compression just have a pop up welded on. That is a pretty easy job that most fab shops/machine shops with a TIG could accomplish for just a few bucks.

I can weld a pop up if need be but i have heard more con's than pro's on doing that.

Lee

I can weld a pop up if need be but i have heard more con's than pro's on doing that.

Lee
Increased weight but some of that extra weight can be removed by contouring the underside of the crown. It would be a last resort for me on a work saw but a gtg runner would last decades with one

Thanks a bunch, Those Partners totally slipped my mind. I have one
of each of those pistons here in stock.

Lee

Mine too!

I was looking for something easy to get and had the welding a dome on the 064 piston in mind. If you have a P85 piston I would like to hear if its close or not just out of curiosity. I have never worked on the 85 but assumed it was like the P100 just a smaller bore but don't remember it having much of a dome on it.

Lee the Stihl 050/051 piston is domed and 52 MM. I don't know about the other requirements. Hope this helps. Tom

Latest posts

Back