Need some help with building a Logging Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

am_perrin

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I don't know if I am at the right site for this, but this was the only forum I can find that focused on logging and forestry and also its history.

I work at Wakami Lake Provincial Park and am working on a self-guided museum that will consist heavily of logging artifacts found in the area.

Logging around Wakami Lake occured around 1920-1950. Some of these artifacts are easily identified, since they are still around today. Others leave me scratching my head.

I was given a description of the artifacts we have, one of which was called a 'chew gritler' which was apparently used to remove bark from timber. I haven't been able to find any information on a 'chew gritler' from the internet, and I don't see how it was used to remove bark.

Here is a picture of the artifacts which I was told were called 'chew gritlers'
View attachment 171389

I was hoping someone here might have some knowledge of old logging tools and might be ablt to identify these and give me more information on them. It is possible that they have nothing to do with logging and the information I was given is wrong. Regardless, if anyone has any ideas as to what they are or what they were used for, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

I have no clue but it sure is a neat looking tool! Hopefully someone has the info and will chip in here.

Can't help ya on the ID, Just wanted to tell you thanks for the efforts on the Museum.

One of the well seasoned guys will know for sure though, if they see it.
Just gotta get them to see the post.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeroyte

parttime, I currently do not have these items with me, since we are between seasons and the park is closed. From what I recall they are about 6 inches wide and probably somewhere between 1-1.5 feet long. The larger metal piece is raised about three inches higher than the rest of the tool.

I remember looking at the one on the left to see if it was broken and missing pieces, but it didn't look as if any pieces had broken off or were missing.

try looking up forestshop.com it is an online book store pertaining to trees , logging, outdoors etc. I think I saw abook on the history of logging tools there. you will also find lots of sources of info for your museum. I'm up in wakefield not far from you, like to help you out, I love the logging history as well ... cheers tim

Thanks a bunch! I will definitely have a look at what they have to offer. Finding books or other information on this subject has proven to be pretty difficult unless you find some sort of store focuses more on the subject.

Back