Need some reassurance/pointers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mheim1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Once again, fuel/air seems to be my biggest enemy:
After rebuilding a MS460, I finally got her to start at standard settings (L and H 1 turn out).
Lot's of smoke.
L all the way in!!!, Idle all the way up!!!: Still a lot of smoke and won't idle.
My thinking is it's running way to rich, so besides a complete Carb kit, what could fix it (still trying to get my brain around the carb details)?
Appreciate any input.

i have a very similar problem with a 020av carb.

my best guess is the checkvalve in the carb is shot. it seems to dump fuel all the time.... even with the L all the way in:confused:

i hope someone finds as solution for you as it may appply to mine as well.

did u use oil in the assembly stage ,could just be that ,my 044 took awhile to clear when i got it going:greenchainsaw:

Just a very light coating on the cylinder; that should be gone by now.
Took the carb of and found out that it's a 046 carb (Walbro HD-9A) and not a 460 carb (Walbro HD 14, 16 or 24), but that shouldn't be the problem either; I think.

Pressure test, make sure you aren't sucking bar oil into the crankcase due to a bad gasket or a crack.

Did a pressure/vacuum test on the crankcase after putting it back together; no leak.

Check the order of the pump diaphragm and gasket. The gasket should be against the carb body, then the diaphragm. Check your needle height as well.

Checked; the gasket sits against the carb body, even so the IPL shows it reversed. Strange. :confused:
I have to tear into this thing tomorrow.
Thanks for the tips so far.

Last edited:
Did a pressure/vacuum test on the crankcase after putting it back together; no leak.

Checked; the gasket sits against the carb body, even so the IPL shows it reversed. Strange. :confused:
I have to tear into this thing tomorrow.
Thanks for the tips so far.

With all the smoke you mention, what mix are you using? I've used synthetic for the past 4 years or so, I don't really get any smoke. 42.666667:1, the PERFECT ratio, right Gary? 3oz is easy to measure, so it's got to be perfect.

With all the smoke you mention, what mix are you using? I've used synthetic for the past 4 years or so, I don't really get any smoke. 42.666667:1, the PERFECT ratio, right Gary? 3oz is easy to measure, so it's got to be perfect.

Had fresh 1:50 mix synthetic in it.
It just got way to much fuel, causing smoke and fouling of the plug.
Gotto figure out that Carb.
Maybe a good cleaning will do.

Update:

-Ultrasonically cleaned the carb, looked great, put it back on
-no start, some burb and then 'hydrolock' (that one hurt)
-let it dry out and ordered another carb of e-bay
-got the replacement carb (dirty, missing idle screw and fuel inlet fitting, choke-plate bend, L was at -2, H was at 0); :cry:
-cleaned the outside, straightened the choke-plate, swapped the idle screw and fuel inlet fitting from the old carb, set L and H to -1
-a few pulls and she started right up :):)

Got to late to do some tuning (maybe tomorrow).
Still don't know what was wrong with the old carb :confused::confused:

Latest posts

Back