Needed a reminder why i avoid old saws..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess im used to working on Stihl, Husqvarna, echo...some macs, hell in 16 years this will be the first coil failure on easily hundreds of saws...but my 2nd ever Homelite.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Sorry, no offense meant, but I don't know how you can say you've worked on Echo's and never had a coil problem. We ran all Homelites for the last 20 years Dad was in business. We tried a few Echo's and really liked them. Until the EVL's came out and the coil, igniters started going bad. I still have several EVL's that look new, but no spark, the module is dead. I have one 750 EVL I would love to bring back to life. I'd just love to feel how that old 78CC saw pulls it's 28" bar. I'm picking up a $20 330 EVL tomorrow that "just died". May be the on/off switch, the were known to go bad also. Then I'm picking up an old Sand Cast Poulan 53A, $20 also.

Sorry, no offense meant, but I don't know how you can say you've worked on Echo's and never had a coil problem. We ran all Homelites for the last 20 years Dad was in business. We tried a few Echo's and really liked them. Until the EVL's came out and the coil, igniters started going bad. I still have several EVL's that look new, but no spark, the module is dead. I have one 750 EVL I would love to bring back to life. I'd just love to feel how that old 78CC saw pulls it's 28" bar. I'm picking up a $20 330 EVL tomorrow that "just died". May be the on/off switch, the were known to go bad also. Then I'm picking up an old Sand Cast Poulan 53A, $20 also.
We had 1 trimmer come in with a dead coil once, an echo that was quite old, one Mantis with the 2pc ignition had a fault. Guess it just wasnt wide spread here. We had very good service from Echo, converted alot of landscapers to Echo from Stihl and Husqvarna because they price point, warranty, and reliability was just better.

I do have to admit that my daily users are Stihls that I've bought in the last 10-12 years. I might use a couple of the old ones for an hour or so, but when my hands fail to respond to my brain, I go back to the new ones. I also have a hard time with buttons on shirts, so I have lots of T-shirts.

We had 1 trimmer come in with a dead coil once, an echo that was quite old, one Mantis with the 2pc ignition had a fault. Guess it just wasnt wide spread here. We had very good service from Echo, converted alot of landscapers to Echo from Stihl and Husqvarna because they price point, warranty, and reliability was just better.

Yeah, I kind of twisted what you said. I recommend Echo's to all of my friends. They are top notch now. When we first tried them in the early 70's they were great. Then the EVL's came out in the later 70's and were such a problem with their electronic ignitions, we had to quit using them. I still use a n 80's CS280E top handle. It's my little "tool box" saw.

I do have to admit that my daily users are Stihls that I've bought in the last 10-12 years. I might use a couple of the old ones for an hour or so, but when my hands fail to respond to my brain, I go back to the new ones. I also have a hard time with buttons on shirts, so I have lots of T-shirts.

T-shirts are cool. You'll never find a dress shirt with Motorhead on it.

Some saws just have a weak link about them. I remember coming across quite a few Olympics through the years that had bad coils. I was told that the manufacturer of those coils was no longer making them so parts were NLA. Also was told that Jonsered coils from the same era could be cross referenced and used. I just gave up on the Olympic saws.

Like anything else...some are better than others some easier to work on that others :) The non X-torq 372's are "old" saws right? 272's ?. I've recently rolled back the clock and discovered the L65/77 series. Love them. Wow. And if you learn about those, it's clear why saw "history" went the way it did. Wanting to do a bearing up build and looks like its easier than most. The 6202 bearings and the seals they need LOOK like ( Not sure until I do this...so this is pure speculation on my part) the same as one the 200 series. :) And then the 238-242 series ..another "fun" one. Guess you can put all "Old Saws" in the same "PITA" class. And each is an adventure.

Like anything else...some are better than others some easier to work on that others :) The non X-torq 372's are "old" saws right? 272's ?. I've recently rolled back the clock and discovered the L65/77 series. Love them. Wow. And if you learn about those, it's clear why saw "history" went the way it did. Wanting to do a bearing up build and looks like its easier than most. The 6202 bearings and the seals they need LOOK like ( Not sure until I do this...so this is pure speculation on my part) the same as one the 200 series. :) And then the 238-242 series ..another "fun" one. Guess you can put all "Old Saws" in the same "PITA" class. And each is an adventure.
272/372 are more modern in design to me. Probably about as old as id go and consider them modern.

I probably have close to 50 vintage saws in the basement. I live on a tree farm and do a fair amount of cutting mostly for firewood. I use newer lighter saws for most of my cutting as my list of ailments gets longer by the month it seems. But I love the sound of those old saws and its an honest hobby.

272/372 are more modern in design to me. Probably about as old as id go and consider them modern.

The 372 XP is a very old saw in that it has no development other that the chain brake. A straight carburetor to the cylinder and a straight oil pump under the clutch. I tried to buy a ten pack of them recently but they were sold out like the AR 15's. Thanks

The 372 XP is a very old saw in that it has no development other that the chain brake. A straight carburetor to the cylinder and a straight oil pump under the clutch. I tried to buy a ten pack of them recently but they were sold out like the AR 15's. Thanks
Introduced in 99..i guess i don't see it as old. Like...the old stuff just didnt have a thoughtful design.

Had a 360 once, always was a coil issue. Got it to run decent one time and sold it quick. I stick to Macs from the 70's and 80's now. Easier to work on, more parts interchange, fun to run and the neighborhood knows it's me when I start sawing. Some neighbors come over just to listen to them run, they never offer to help, just want to listen.

Introduced in 99..i guess i don't see it as old. Like...the old stuff just didnt have a thoughtful design. Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
What my point was that the design was quite simple as compared to many of the saws today. It is probably a twenty year old design which is not real old. I have a a Stihl 041 which is much older and again quite simple design. I bought three Husqvarna 460 XT which are OK but it takes a few hours to remove carburetor and replace which I do not like. Thanks

Im curious to see 30 years from now how many of these modern saws are still going strong.;)
Probably a good many, parts for the older stuff will be long non-existent i imagine. Trying to find parts for 30-35 year old saws right now is tough

Latest posts

Back