Needs Tips/Advice Grinding Stumps "Ground Level".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size brush are you talking about?

Somewhere above pdqdl I did mention the dimensions. It's a thinly populated sparse set of brush, smaller, medium and a few larger trees. The brush measures anywhere from 1" to 2" calling it "brush", then the rest of the smaller stuff is 2"+ to maybe around 4" and slightly larger. For most on here with the expertise that we possess can easily cut these ground level. The "brush" or smaller trees are anywhere from say 3'ft to 5' away from each other. A guy could come along and conceivable do a lot of work that would visibly change the landscape in 20 minutes.

Like I mentioned prior, I'll get some pics. Will also make it interesting to those who are curious wtf I'm referring to. LOL!

My best.

SR'

Good job getting it so low, wondering how much you would charge to cut that ?
It's a 40" stump end to end, so to grind it out I would charge 40"x$2/inch=$80, leaving the stump shavings. Grinding about six inches below surface. No need to flush cut it like I did if I'm grinding it.

Cutting it ground level involves a lot of prep work and hauling the stump so cutting it flush ground level with no stump grinding, I'd charge $150.

Attachments

• Stump.jpg
    Stump.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 15
It's a 40" stump end to end, so to grind it out I would charge 40"x$2/inch=$80, leaving the stump shavings. Grinding about six inches below surface. No need to flush cut it like I did if I'm grinding it.

Cutting it ground level involves a lot of prep work and hauling the stump so cutting it flush ground level with no stump grinding, I'd charge $150.

Hope you got a tax receipt for the charitable donation. $80 won't get me to your driveway.

I don't understand any of this. You charge more to cut it "flush," then you do to grind and customers go for it??

I either cut stumps "close to grade" or grind um. You dudes are crazy.

I also learn't this- if you've sold em a stump grind and cut it very flush before hand-they sometimes decide they don't want the grind anymore, they're surprised at seeing s stump cut so low and figure its just fine without shelling out extra for the grind.... but yea, blower always, sometimes axe

Hope you got a tax receipt for the charitable donation. $80 won't get me to your driveway.
Yeah,
I don't understand any of this. You charge more to cut it "flush," then you do to grind and customers go for it??

I either cut stumps "close to grade" or grind um. You dudes are crazy.
I rarely flush cut. Perhaps if I can't get my grinder to the stump. It takes a way more work then just grinding it. With all the pulling, raking, and blowing that flush cut took about 1/2 hr. My stump cutter can blow through 5 of these, if not more, in that time. Does that make sense? Am I crazy?

I can see if you have a small grinder like a Vermeer 252, the stump level can be an issue. My buddy has one of those. He put green teeth on his and it cuts like 2x faster.

I wouldn't be offering any flush cutting in my situation, it will just mean an extra 15 minutes explaining on each bid and they will want it in writing down to the millimetre, if customers want it lower they can pay for the grinder - that's what its for. We normally backfill the area near the stump a little with surrounding soil/mulch/sawdust to make it look a little lower than it is (1-2inch), I'm tired of being asked to cut it flush to ground level as an extra...

I wouldn't be offering any flush cutting in my situation,...

You keep that in mind because many other's situation "flush cutting" would fit the bill perfectly, especially the "situation" I have here and my solution is 100% backed up by the owner. No since in doing full grinding of 20-25 stumps when grinding them to ground level would make him very happy.... since they are in the woods anyway.

StihlRockin'

^ I don't mean that I refuse to do it, naturally there are times when it fits the bill perfectly-my comment referred to offering it as an alternative to stump grinding to every potential client.....

Latest posts

Back