Neewbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sensless

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What a great site! I appreciate all the knowledge from the Pros on here... I am a homeowner who bought a rather descent cast wood burner last year.
To feed this wood burner,I made the mistake of buying a junk saw from the local Box store.(we won't talk about it)
This year I told my wife I needed a much better saw.I could not decide between a Stihl, and a Husky. I went with Stihl. As a winter wood cutter only, I chose a stihl 310. Please tell me I did good. I am worried sick that after a $420.00 invested I didn't buy a big enough saw.

Its never big enough

Just from my experience there are going to be times when a bigger saw comes in handy, but the trade off is if you only have one saw, 95% of the time a bigger saw would be bigger than what you need at the time and the extra weight wears you down.

The simple solution is to have 2 saws, or 3, or 4, or 5, etc.

Don't worry about having bought the wrong saw. After spending a little time here, you'll have a dozen or so saws.:hmm3grin2orange: . The MS310 will serve you well. It's not a pro saw like everyone on here prefers, but it's a very good saw that's a proven platform and will serve you well for a long time.

I do okay with mine, sometimes it seems to be a little taxing but overall it does a good job for the the normal 12-20" stuff, I have a 16" and 20" bar that I use, it normally wears the the 16" because it makes it easier to limb with but does fine with the 20" also.

Yes, I am very, very concerned. I feel a chain saw addiction coming on already.Ok, I am feeling a little better about my saw. I should have mentioned, I don't have pro skills, and walk away from anything larger than 20". I am still splitting all of my wood with an ax.

I have a Ms310 and love that saw does a great job! I cut alot of wood, and it has held up very well. The only complaint that i can say for the saw, is the 1/2 tank of oil to the tank of gas. I have noticed that now that i am using stihl bar oil it uses close to 3/4 of a tank, much better. I run a 20" bar 3/8 50 chain on mine all the time and it does very well, not to much different than my brothers 361 in the cut. He is a little bit quicker, but not by much.

you did fine

a ms 310 will cut anything you would want to split with a maul
i would consider a cheap smaller saw if i had to trim alot of small stuff

i have cut most of my wood with a none pro saw

I run a 20" bar 3/8 50 chain on mine all the time and it does very well, not to much different than my brothers 361 in the cut. He is a little bit quicker, but not by much.

+1, I've had the same experience:cheers:

Yes, I am very, very concerned. I feel a chain saw addiction coming on already.Ok, I am feeling a little better about my saw. I should have mentioned, I don't have pro skills, and walk away from anything larger than 20". I am still splitting all of my wood with an ax.

i like those 20" tree's buck them a few swing's with a maul and there split and there ready for the wood pile

Just point out to the wife how much money you are saving by having your own saw. This is simple.

Now you can save even more if you have a variety of saw sizes, bars, and chains. Then you can cut anything of any size!

If the wife complains, just point out how much money you are saving! :greenchainsaw:

Sensless,
You got to bite the bullet and start somewhere. I had a Stihl Farm Boss for 10years then bought an additional 2 saws. You got to think in terms of a big storm. When you really need that saw, and it dies, it's great to have a back up. You don't want to be running to the local dealer when all the other rubes are in line, trying to buy something or get their stuff fixed too. At any rate, keep in mind, whatever you buy and take care of, you can always sell to someone else for at least half of what you paid for it. In addition, think what rental fees would have been and the inconvenience of having to go and get the equipment everytime you use it. I know that my local rental shop stopped renting chain saws all together, because of the abuse. I would also tell you to spend your money now. Buying some tangible is better than the worthless paper money it's becoming, better suited for wall paper.

What size wood and what species? Are you doing felling, limbing and bucking?

If you're having regrets ask the dealer. I thought Stihl had a 30 day satisfaction guarantee but I'm not sure if it's money back or exchange or has been discontinued.

MS310 sounds OK for the typical firewood saw.

You don't want to be running to the local dealer when all the other rubes are in line, trying to buy something or get their stuff fixed too. Mr. Stanton, I see you have been to my dealer.
Tatra, 3 saw plan? No way-well maybe 1 more...

Dave, I have 40 acres of timber all various species with the exception of pine. Not a single pine,and I like tall standing pines.
I fell the dead ones,which have included maple, (my favorite for hand splitting) oak and ugh,elm.
Great site guys,will be hooked for hours on end, I can tell....

... I have 40 acres of timber all various species with the exception of pine. Not a single pine,and I like tall standing pines....

I can do without cutting pine! It oozes pitch by the bucketful and this makes a big mess! I get it everywhere, on my arms, on my truck bed, then on the bottom of my shoes, then in the house, on the dog, etc.

Nice smell though...

The MS310 is a good 'tweener saw. It'll cut moderate sized hardwood, and it sounds like that is exactly what you have. I like a much lighter saw for trimming and limbing, but there isn't much left when I'm done...wouldn't be anything if I had a chipper.

Where in Pa?

Latest posts

Back