Networking with other tree businesses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesquirrel

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have two ther small tree companies like myself that I regularly cooperate with.

I am the company with the best and newest chipper and track loader for heavy duty lifting/brush clearing.

One of the others has abucket truck for jobs which are not climbing jobs.

The thrid has a good sized dump truckand also has a timber truck to carry logs to the mill.

We hire one another to do specialized work that we either have expertise in or equipment for. I will rent my chipper out to the others when they need it if I am not busy. I get cut rates for bucket work in exchange or my big logs picked up for me which I hate dealing with anyway.

I'd be interested in knowing if others do or do not do this. I find it a good way to be able to get jobs I 'd otherwise have to turn down and just split the profits. I nor the other companies can quite swing any other big ticket purchases right now so it works well in my opinion.

I have two ther small tree companies like myself that I regularly cooperate with.

I am the company with the best and newest chipper and track loader for heavy duty lifting/brush clearing.

One of the others has abucket truck for jobs which are not climbing jobs.

The thrid has a good sized dump truckand also has a timber truck to carry logs to the mill.

We hire one another to do specialized work that we either have expertise in or equipment for. I will rent my chipper out to the others when they need it if I am not busy. I get cut rates for bucket work in exchange or my big logs picked up for me which I hate dealing with anyway.

I'd be interested in knowing if others do or do not do this. I find it a good way to be able to get jobs I 'd otherwise have to turn down and just split the profits. I nor the other companies can quite swing any other big ticket purchases right now so it works well in my opinion.

I occasioanly sub contract with tree services . usually they can handle most tres but ew want ot invest in big saws such as a 395 or 3120 ms 8800 mss 660 thoughi se more 660 some reason but they rarel run more thana 32 or so inch bar . i run a six ft bar on the 3120 and have finshe more than one as ther ar lots of large diameter trees . Yet i wish more would contact me . . Somtines i tek the wood somtimesi cut it up at a cost do so the clenmt can split it and brun it getting more comon . . though thety will have to usea saw to start spiliting it as the logs are huge or I ise a 394 or 395with ripping chain . . I find it interesting few tree serviceshave big saws !

or is it not worth it ?

Big Saw

I too am surprised by how many tree services do not have anything much bigger than an MS460.

During my first 6 months in biz I got a job felling large 48" and bigger poplar trees in a bottom area for removal to clear for a lake. I must have cut down over a dozne that required the extra umph of the 880. I have since used that saw on many many jobs as I like the fact it will eat up big stuff like it is just brush.

I got a 385 for this very reason, I could ensure that there would be a sharp big saw on the job, and I could help buck big wood fast.

The bulk of my work is for other companies, so I maintian all climbing and rigging gear, and a climbing limbing and bucking saw.

One problem i've had is that many of my clients liked my tools so much they bought them themselves :D.

One thing you need to remember is that if you trade hours, the IRS will recognize this as barter if you are audited. They will look at day planners as buisness records.

i thik alot of tree services do not work with alot of large diameter stuff . so they cannot justify the cost . I doubt ill have much competion with my 394 395 and 3120 I can put aalomoet any bar on any one of them .

How is the 385 workingIjhave lookedat them and wonders d it iti s worth it i have a 575 I keep in my truck locked up ofcourse and it has gone thoprugh soem goodsized timber . though a 32 inche bar is its max . iwith 24 inch bar the thing eats fure wood like it was not there .

i have the assorted ropes andsuch also . though i do not have the cleint porblem they tend to like thier buckets ok i want a spirer lift or something liek it . . I masurpised that alot do mot call others who can doa job . it does get competative .It seemsany guy witha pick up and a saw witha 20 inch bar can go out drop trees ding the job right and safely is another matter .

Latest posts

Back