Never know until you ask

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

740jsmayle

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had my eye on a nice standing dead elm down the road for some time. I really didn't know who owned it so was reluctant to ask. I was talking about this tree to a friend and he told me who owned the property. I had met the owner at the wife's Xmas party his better half was the wifes boss small world. I stopped by and talked to him about the tree. He said his son was going to take it as heated with wood also. I said no problem thanks. His response was a surprise. " If you want you can have those trees along the road right that pole to the Walnut trees my son won't cut those been after him for over a year " I'll take em . There was 11 hedge trees 2 small red elm 2 ash and 4 small walnuts ( casualties of growing in the hedge. Pics before I started
IMG_20160124_160506.jpg IMG_20160124_160524.jpg IMG_20160124_160528.jpg. The progress IMG_20160223_085050.jpgIMG_20160223_085102.jpg IMG_20160223_085112.jpg IMG_20160223_103801.jpg.

Neighbor had a 4 legged maple fall near the edge of his property due to a wind storm. Every morning I would look out my bedroom window at it about 50' into the woods. Sat there about 2 years, the leg laying on the ground rotted as it was in water most of the time. Bugged me to see good firewood get wasted so I asked if I could have it, without hesitation he said sure. The 3 legs were all off the ground at various angles, so last winter when everything was frozen I went in there and chunked them all up. Getting them dragged out that 50' into a clearing where I could split them was the most work. Ended up tying a rope to a big PVC garbage can lid and dragging them out one by one. Well worth it though, got almost a full cord out of it.

It's not that hard to ask and the answer is usually yes in my area. I own a few properties and burn wood for heat, but if a neighbor, friend or co-worker asked to cut for personal use I would say yes if I could trust them not to do something stupid.

"My District Manager once told me "if you ask the answer might be yes, but if you don't the answer is always no".

I agree! I have asked a couple people who have said yes when people have told me there was no way the owner would let me.

Uncle
I watched a few disappear like that. So I started asking as soon as I find out who owns the land .I'm not a wood snob I have asked to cut fallen box elder and sassafras .

My parents next door neighbor had a large Norway maple taken down. Figured the arborist was taking the wood so didn't say anything until they started rolling over the hill into the woods. Went over and got the rest for my dad. Also had to take a wedge and sledge over to get his saw unstuck when he was cutting the main trunk. The trunk was 42" at the base and had to quarter it before I could carry it the 50' to my parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP is dead on. Guys on this forum look at a dead tree like it's a gold mine, but most people see them as a headache.

Yesterday, I was on my way to the grocery store when I spotted a dump truck full of huge red oak trunk. The driver was about to take off so I stopped to ask him what he was doing with the wood. He shrugged and said he was gonna dump it. I said hey, I live two blocks away why don't you dump it there?

He followed me to the house and dumped it in the yard. This tree was solid, 42" on the small cross of the base and close to 50" at the widest part. I got 19 enormous 18" rounds out of it and I'm guessing they will yield 50 splits per. I finally got to put my Mastermind 390xp to work... that thing is angry.

The guy I talked to is a real good guy and owns the company. He offered to bring all the wood I want in the future as he works in the area

I have a few other tree service connects, but this one changes the game.

Attachments

• _2.IMG_20160228_152701.jpg
    _2.IMG_20160228_152701.jpg
    1,010 KB · Views: 30
The OP is dead on. Guys on this forum look at a dead tree like it's a gold mine, but most people see them as a headache.

Yesterday, I was on my way to the grocery store when I spotted a dump truck full of huge red oak trunk. The driver was about to take off so I stopped to ask him what he was doing with the wood. He shrugged and said he was gonna dump it. I said hey, I live two blocks away why don't you dump it there?

He followed me to the house and dumped it in the yard. This tree was solid, 42" on the small cross of the base and close to 50" at the widest part. I got 19 enormous 18" rounds out of it and I'm guessing they will yield 50 splits per. I finally got to put my Mastermind 390xp to work... that thing is angry.

The guy I talked to is a real good guy and owns the company. He offered to bring all the wood I want in the future as he works in the area

I have a few other tree service connects, but this one changes the game.

Excellent score!!

Latest posts

Back