Never loan out your saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad had a few things borrowed and returned broken and he shrugged it off because he was helping a friend. I would have at least expected them to offer to repair/replace the item which they didn't.

Nonetheless I'll still loan up people I trust as I know how much of a lifesaver the right equipment can be.

Glad you got it back to operating condition.

I'd loan my saws out to friends who needed them but I'd rather just cut the wood for them.

Agreed, anytime a friend asks I just offer to help with the work. I usually end up with free lunch and a few beers or a nice bottle of whiskey. Seems a fair trade in my book :)

I'm with everyone else. Someone wants to borrow one of my tools/equitment I just say "lets go knock it out together". Sometimes they take me up on it sometimes it's a no thanks. There is a reason why most of my stuff looks new.....

I hate loaning stuff out, would sooner do it than let someone borrow it. 1-2 years ago, just when i was first getting into saws, a neighbor asked to borrow a saw to cut up the main section of a tree since the husky they were using wasn't working anymore. I didn't want to let them borrow a saw, as their tree removal so far was super sketchy/stupid, but dad let them borrow a saw. I got it to start once, but when they took it over, it wouldn't restart. Never in my life have I been more happier when a saw wouldn't run.

Looking at the specs this saw only turns 8500, I bet it could be uped a couple of K pretty easily. Mines not been molested, YET!:cool:

That 8500 rpm max spec is incorrect or it's under cutting load spec. I just had a farm pro 375 apart, smoothed out the intake manifold and advanced the timing, i was still lightly 4 strokimg at 13k! I backed it down to 11,500 and it still holds 9k in the cut full chisel full comp chain

wish there were more of these poulans around where i live. i'd like to have one as a firewood saw. one i can build to the tits to be a real sleeper saw.

Try to find a 4000 or a 375, there thin ring saws. I have both, they run real hard

My dad owned a saw shop rental store and I worked there most my childhood. I can remember many times customers coming in saying.... I borrowed this from my neighbor... or I loaned my neighbor my saw... Mostly minor stuff broken recoils or plastic covers, I remember one guy ran straight gas through one and burned it up. Hence forth I do not like to loan out tools, I always end up having to go get them back, like the other guys said I would rather help than loan. If it is a really good friend that wants to borrow two stroke I insist they take my gas can as I know its mixed properly not some old crap they have had laying around the barn.

My Stihl 021 was not up to the LARGE hickory tree that was laying in the yard. My wife asked if I could borrow a neighbors larger chainsaw. I gave her a look that she understood. I now own a larger chainsaw. I don't believe in borrowing or lending chainsaws. I hate having equipment get broken and then having to fix it.

I borrowed a miter saw one time. My son pulled something out of the garage and it catching the miter saw. $20 bucks spent on someone else's equipment and a new blade just because I borrowed it convinced me I needed a miter saw and not to borrow things like that. I use my miter saw a lot now that I own it.

Try to find a 4000 or a 375, there thin ring saws. I have both, they run real hard

last one i found out here was a 6000 parts saw with hardly anything good left of it. i find 2-3 a year maybe and i wanna find a nice $20'er fixer upper poulan pro. i don't want to spend $20 less then new for a saw that sat for 3 years with fuel in it on craigslist. just as well pony up the $20 and have everything new lol. some of the flakes on there are just out of this world.

The 3400-4000 series are my weakness. I have 8 that all run and cut great. Those saws are built super well. They have got to be one of the easiest saws to work on, i think the design is perfect. My favorites are the 375 farm pros with hi top 20170305_192555.jpg air filter

The 3400-4000 series are my weakness. I have 8 that all run and cut great. Those saws are built super well. They have got to be one of the easiest saws to work on, i think the design is perfect. My favorites are the 375 farm pros with hi top View attachment 566744 air filter
A lot of been in the back there!:D:cool:

May I ask, what is a Poulan? To me, it sounds like one of those Chinesium brands that wants to sound European. But that wouldn't explain the love for them. Are they comparable to european or japanese brands?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Poulan is an old American saw brand. They still make saws today under Husqvarna as its mothership. They were another of the old American brands that were snuffed out by foreign makes (german- Swedish). Unfortunately the saws made today that carry the poulan and poulan pro name, share only the name as the quality is more geared towards homeowner grade units, not the professional quality built machines they came from.

Poulan is an old American saw brand. They still make saws today under Husqvarna as its mothership. They were another of the old American brands that were snuffed out by foreign makes (german- Swedish). Unfortunately the saws made today that carry the poulan and poulan pro name, share only the name as the quality is more geared towards homeowner grade units, not the professional quality built machines they came from.
Yep, new Poulan, McCulloch, and Homelite saws are nothing like the old iron that proudly carried their names.

Yep, new Poulan, McCulloch, and Homelite saws are nothing like the old iron that proudly carried their names.
Remington is another victim... The new is absolutely nothing like the old used to be...
In fact, the worn out old saws work harder than the brand new "box-store" saws...

Back