New 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

like2surf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guy's
I just found a new 036 with a 24" bar+chain for $375. Never had gas in it.
Is that a decent price? How does it compare to a 357xp,ms361, or a Ms 362?
Thanks Scott

the 036 is a sought after saw. I would offer 300 and see how it goes. The 361 is a newer version of the036..( I have had both and currently have a ms 361 which I really like)
Parts are easy to find for it still.
I do not have any experience with the 362 or husky line up ..

Even without gas etc in it plan on going through the rubber on it, as saw is easily 10-14 yrs old. Factor the lines and a carb kit into your offer price..

Good luck

That's a good deal, but a 24" bar on an 036 is a bit long. I ran that configuration for many years. The saw is way out of balance and you have to continually pull up with your left hand and push down with your right when you're running it. It will wear you out like that. You'll actually have less fatigue running a heavier power head like an 044/046 with that size bar. Also, if you drop-start your saw, the bar will be flailing around with all the weight up front like that.

Like he said. I have a 24" bar on mine and it is definately not in balance. Pulls it well, but wears you out if you're not simply bucking logs.

i have a brand new dp muffler for that saw..i built it but never used it and it's pretty nice if you want it i'll send it to you..pm me...thanks..nice saw by the way

Buy it immediately. Wish I stumbled across things like that.

Does anybody know if you can a wrap kit for the 036? Handlebar, large spikes, chain catcher, and the larger clutch cover.

My 036 Pro, bought new over a decade ago, late nineties, I think, is still running strong with no repairs needed yet. It was my main saw for a long time and a really good one. Well worth $375.

I still use it a lot.

I always have used a 20" bar on mine, runs great that way. I have never even had anything shorter on it.

Does anybody know if you can a wrap kit for the 036? Handlebar, large spikes, chain catcher, and the larger clutch cover.

I didn't see anything in the 036 IPL or the ms360 IPL. But the ms361 IPL had the following numbers. I'm not POSITIVE if they'll fit the 036 perfectly, so maybe one of the more knowledgeable guys can weigh-in on that. But if they will fit, at least you have the part numbers.

Full wrap handle 1135 790 3600
Elbow Connector 1128 791 5501
there are also some extra screws/nuts you'll need

Spike left 1135 664 0501
Spike right 1135 664 0500
you'll need the screws/nuts for the right side
M5x12 screw 9008 319 0960 qty(2)
Lock nut 9214 320 0700 qty(2)

Chain catcher kit 1135 650 7700

Sprocket cover 1138 648 0400

I'd offer up no more than 2 bills with the sole intention of reselling. Get the displeasure of running two of them at work on occasion and in my opinion it's heavy nutless piece of crap. Lol, I'm not joking. I hate them. I'd rather operate my played out 305 Poulan. Yeah buddy, first post action!!! Am I making friends or did I just start a riote?

I'd offer up no more than 2 bills with the sole intention of reselling. Get the displeasure of running two of them at work on occasion and in my opinion it's heavy nutless piece of crap. Lol, I'm not joking. I hate them. I'd rather operate my played out 305 Poulan. Yeah buddy, first post action!!! Am I making friends or did I just start a riote?
Well atleast it's not a what oil to use first post :hmm3grin2orange:

check out the 036 v/s 044 link in my sig. you just haven't had the right guy work on the 036 that you use at work.

I'm not sure what you just did except embarrass the s##t out of the entire population of Pittston, Maine.

Welcome aboard.

I've got this to say about that.. Never could spell and I drank a LOT of beers that day and night, mmkay. So, I've got a super size chain saw boner lately on account of a big, um, hole in my line up. Becouse of that I looked up the stats of this particular saw of which we speek Friday night and I'm thinking the stats are optimistic. I meant what I said, that one wears me out. I can swing my 346 all day and get a lot more done than with this particular Stihl. If I were just standing cutting small to medium fire wood and letting the saw support itselft then yeah ok it works. Just my opinion and I like to share. Pittston, pfff, dont get me started. So anyway, did I ever tell you fellers about the time I accidentally licked my ol ladys armpit? Well, to make a long story short...

Back